MS or Raynaud's Syndrome, or both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS or Raynaud's Syndrome, or both?

Don't mean to rub it in to all of you suffering in the heat, but it is winter down here and my fingers and toes are white, stiff and freezing. Less so in polar fleece socks and gloves, but still very, very cold.
    Googling, as one does, I discover Raynaud's Syndrome. (which I may have misspelt - can't back and forth on an ipad.)
    And there's nothing much you can do for it. Seems to describe, with helpful photos, my symptoms beautifully.
    I thought it was just really cold, until people kept asking what was wrong with my fingers.
    Now am I being a hypochondriac?
    Is this just another MS thing?
    Or is it just really cold?

I have both! Many in my family have reynauds, so it was no big surprise to me. Good luck to you.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Wow - someone on MSW is actually cold!! You must be from Australia?

Anyway, I have both too. And with many members in my family having Raynaud's, altho I'm the only one with MS. It's terrible when my comfort range is between 50-75 degrees.

I have one of those flax pillows that I heat up in the microwave and use it when my fingers (and toes) turn cold. It's my best friend
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Sounds like Raynaud's. Although many folks who have autoimmune conditions (including MS) have secondary Raynaud's (Raynaud's phenomenon), it isn't an autoimmune condition itself. Remember, in autoimmune conditions, the immune system attacks its own body, and that's not what's happening in Raynaud's. Raynaud's involves spasm of the small blood vessels in the extremities.

The Mayo Clinic has a nice section about Raynaud's, including treatments, home remedies and lifestyle approaches: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ray...isease/DS00433

Comment

Raynauds

I am a respiratory therapist. The patient's I see with Raynauds do have cold fingers but the tips/nails also tend to be bluish all the time. That is the hallmark sign. I know a Raynauds patient as soon as I see one. You are not describing that. You could have reduced circulation for any number of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by snugglecat View Post
            The patient's I see with Raynauds do have cold fingers but the tips/nails also tend to be bluish all the time.
            While it frequently is the case with Raynaud's that fingertips are bluish, it isn't always the case. Maybe it's the presentation in people needing respiratory therapy, but it isn't an absolute requirement that the extremities be blue.

Also, it's more typical that Raynaud's phenomenon occurs in episodes. So extremities aren't blue all the time (although that, too, might be the case with respiratory patients). Rather, it's the episodic nature of Raynaud's that helps to differentiate it from other circulatory conditions.

So, Thinkimjob, all the more reason for you to do your homework about Raynaud's, and to consult your GP about it to see if that's really what you have and what you might do about it.

Comment

Woo hoo! Maybe something new to add to the list. Thanks, everyone for your responses. Going to turn the heater up.

Comment

Working...
              X