is this my Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this my Normal?

Hi All, I recently got diagnosed about 3 months ago and trying to get used to this whole thing. Besides my first major episode that happened when i got Dxed, i experienced a minor flare up of a numb trunk and tremors. I just got off a 3 day solumedrol treatment and i still dont feel 100%. my doctors office just told me to "deal." i feel spacy and my vision is not perfect, I have a electric shot across my midsection when i move my head and im extremly tired....is this really my "normal"now? is this how im supposted to feel and go through life in between real flare ups? does it get better? is my body just trying to adjust to my disease? Im not sure what to expect and its SOO frusterating! Im not sure if trying to force myself to excercise will make it better or worse..thanks for your advice i really need people who actually understand what im going through. My poor fiance just doesnt understand why im not the same old "happy" me and he just thinks i should live life and pretend nothing is wrong...i wish i could but i dont think im there yet...

Sorry to hear that you're joining us in this. One book that helped me a little was MS for Dummies. It's a couple of years old, so there is some more information that's new, but it'll give you the basics about MS.

Sorry that your doctor's office is a little glib. They are supposed to work for you, but the truth is that they may not be able to do anything more than they have.

You might invite your fiance to read some of the posts on this site with you to help you understand as well as her. Hope things get better for you.
    Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Solumedrol leaves me feeling down for a good solid week. Hopefully you will soon be feeling better. Be sure to get on a good MS diet and take the recommended supplements. Are you on a DMD?

Comment

Hi and welcome! I just wanted to say that this is probably not your "new normal", and if you are just getting off the steroids, definetly not your normal! It will get better.

I had my 1st major flare in April and it took me close to 4 weeks just to feel somewhat normal, but I feel I may not still be over it... I felt like you in that I thought I would not recover and be/feel like that forever and it scared the heck out of me and made me depressed as well.

I had a minor flare up in Nov/Dec and recovered just fine in a week or so after the steroids.

My personal advise (given by people here, and friends who have MS (I work with 3 others who have MS) is to get plenty of rest. I believe exercise would be too tiring and could actually make you feel worse, IMO only.

Give it another week or so and see how you feel. Please let us know how you are doing!
        Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
        Ampyra 10mg 2xday
        Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

It gets better with time. Your body was just attacked and there can be healing.

Are you taking a DMD? Are you considering a diet?

Check out http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/

The first year is the most difficult.

Comment

thank you all so much for your advice... I am on copaxone and have been for 2 months so far....my fiance and i are trying to get pregnant ASAP after the wedding so my Neuro told me to stop my copaxone and start trying to get pregnant bc most females go into remission during the pregnancy...(ive always wanted to be a mommy but now i REALLY wanna be a mommy if it gets me feeling better too!)
            i think im getting more than enough rest...in fact i think im being too cautious in that department!
            im hoping no more flare ups and hoping for my positive additude back. i hate that i frusterate family for not being "myself" Its hard to be happy and smile all the time with getting this life changing news...

Comment

Hi there, just to reiterate what the other posters have said so well, you will get used to it and it will most likely get easier to manage. The first few flares are just downright terrifying, some of the symptoms feel the need to hang around longer than others.

I hope your experience with COpaxone is as positive as mine is... been on it since 2007 and only 2 steroid worthy flares. Remember that it takes around 6 months to really start working so you're still new to it. Luckily, you don't have to endure any flu like symptoms from it.

Since you just finished a round of steroids, you will probably be extra tired for a bit. It's such a high dose that.makes your body "crash" once the IV comes out. Does your doc have you on an oral steroid to taper you off?

Lastly, if you need rest, then rest. Understanding MS fatigue took me a few years to "get". If you push yourself to do something
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
              X