Dental Implants and MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dental Implants and MRI

I am having an MRI tomorrow. I had a post put in for a crown a month ago, my dentist's asst said it's safe but I did a little research and now a little nervous. All I can keep picturing is a metal post shotting through my brain or jaw.
    Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

I can't speak to the possible complications, but if it helps, I have several crowns and assorted dental work, and it didn't cause a problem. I don't know if something on the surface, like braces, would cause trouble, but I didn't have trouble with the posts and whatnot in my head.
    Accepting reality is not the same as wanting to have a problem. It means accepting something that will be happening whether I want it or not.

Comment

A-OK

I've had a couple of MRIs with implant screws in my jaw - and the full implants, too. No problems.

Still, I always mention it to the MRI tech, just to ease my mind. But I've spent several hours in the machine and never even had any tingly feelings from the metal.

Comment

Hi Katje - I have a dental post & crown and it doesn't cause any problems. I also have an entirely metal hip and that doesn't cause any problems either. Just tell the people at the imaging center. They can make any necessary adjustments

Kyle
        At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Nabbosa View Post
          Still, I always mention it to the MRI tech, just to ease my mind. But I've spent several hours in the machine and never even had any tingly feelings from the metal.
          I do the same. The last set was done on a brand new 3T machine and they said I might feel a slight tugging on my hip. I didn't
          At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

The MRI unit does not want problems. Disclose it, and they should be able to tell you if you're safe. Some machines provide more protection than others.

Comment

I have a quater inch long piece of steel in my nose and they still do a MRI I get a warm feeling there, and a piece of steel in my neck for that they did a CT scan to make sure it was not near a main artery. The last MRI they did'nt even have me remove my wedding band. I can remember years ago when everything was removed, I guess the machines have changed over time.

Comment

I got through it alive! Only took 30 minutes. They told me I could go home with my old films, but today they saiod they wanted to send it to the doctor with the new films. I said that's ok but I won't see him again until August. The tech said he will definitely call me before then. So now I am a little worried.. oh well

I have such a long history with MS. We have this on again and off again relationship. lol
                Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

Good to know you are alive , so what did your MRI indicate I guess you are much more thinking on it, there is nothing to worry about dental implant, not an issue of metal. Mostly they use titanium which is quite suitable for our human body, so you need not to worry whether its gonna suits your body or not!! Think positive and go ahead for it , even I have 3 implants long back and not having no complaints till now!

For more details: 1999implant.com

Comment

Working...
                  X