The Speech thing---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Speech thing---

I am a speech/language pathologist (and I have MS). I just saw the speech thread and have some input here.

Often, docs neglect to point people to professionals that could help, like the speech/language pathologist, or a physical therapist, or an occupational therapist.

My speech and language are not impaired. However, I read of people with complaints that range from physical impairment (could be slurred speech), or from cognitive impairment, like word finding problems. In any event, a speech/language pathologist is a professional wiht expertise in these areas. They have a Masters degree, and a year of internship beyond that. They can diagnose the problem, establish a baseline (there we go with baselines again...lol), and help devise strategies to help improve the speech/language problems. Often, this consists of learning compensatory strategies.

All this is to say that if you choose, you could seek help from a certified licensed SLP for these problems. They can't make the MS go away, but they can help maximize your potential,and you can learn how to better deal with it.

Hope this helps someone...

Yes, My MD recommended

this. Am concerned about the cost. How long does this therapy take? What do speech therapist charge per hour? Do insurance companies cover it?

Comment

How long does therapy take?
      That depends on the problem! And how long/how much YOU want to work on it. That can't be answered simply. It could be that a few sessions would help some.
      How much does it cost?
      My fee is $225 for an evaluation, and $85/hour for therapy. Most professionals have a sliding scale.
      Does insurance cover it?
      It depends on your policy, but often, yes. (Things that are developmental might not be covered, or related to education, but medically related conditions most often are covered).
      Hope this helps.

Comment

i have the "word drop" thing - quite often and most times at the wrong times...like when briefing a room full of people. But lately I've noticed that I'm beginning to stutter...

Is stuttering MS-related? Anybody?

Thanks
        "Tona Naze"
        Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Comment

Stuttering could be anxiety related, and yes, it could be MS related. There are strategies to help with the various challenges to speech and language that MS poses.

For stuttering, try to take a breath before you speak, and be aware of exhaling, and speaking with a soft onset, i.e. sort of softly, when starting to speak.

For "word drop", see if you can recall the beginning letter of the word you are looking for, or think of an associated word. Those "inner" hints can trigger recall of the word.

Comment

Speech things. Long but I tried keep it funny.

I was thankful for the post by the Speech Pathologist. It brings to light the need for getting help with speech difficulties. I have been plagued with problems but only more protracted by my MS

I was dx’d four years ago with my MS.
            I have since H.S. had trouble with getting the right word up and in place in time to use it. I began reading up on it and I belive that I had a learning defect that resembled a thing called Anomic aphasia. I could never get the noun I needed. I learned over time to bring up every associated word to help me get to the one I needed. Sort of a verbal Easter-egg-hunt. Most times I could find my word by “coming in the back door.”

- My first relapse that involved speech problems was two back. My fishing for a noun became really pronounced and difficult. I began having “halts” in my sentences while word searching. Sometimes I would become so distracted that I would forget what I was talking about. Finally I added a phrase to my arsenal. “Never mind - just forget it.” My wife learned not to worry because to put any pressure on me to assist only added stress and made it feel worse.

- My second speech problem developed secondary to MS symptoms. I used to take Lithium for bi-polar dx. Two things that I love to do is talk and eat or write about both - sorry. This used to be an embarrassing story but I’ve gotten over that and will try to keep it short for you. Its sad/humouous.

A lot of my medications are a variation on the color “yellow.” My wife noticed that my appetite had dropped off sharply. She inquired about it and my response was, “Everything is gray, beige or brown. Nothing appeals to me.” That should have been a tip off but both of us missed it. About three days later she came into the bedroom and asked if I was dressed and ready for church? There I sat on the foot of the bed, NAKED, with five different colored socks on one foot. My shoe in the other hand trying to change the channel on the TV. I can’t imagine what that must have looked like to her but in fifteen minutes I was in the emergency department at the local hospital. Everything was getting fuzzy for me by now.

After running my blood they found out that my Lithium level was soaring. I’m an MS ret. RN so I am usually pretty responsible in that regard. We finally figured out that my MS loss of color vision had me just taking “yellow” pills - all Lithium. If you’re not familiar with Lithium it is really toxic at high levels. My kidneys were beginning to fail. My speech became garbled and then I went silent. Not a good sign coming from my usual behavior.

The next thing I remember was a speech ?? person asking me to identify a pen that she was holding out. My verbal vocabulary was empty. I do remember her question resembling how the teacher sounds in Charlie Brown cartoons. “Waahh wa wa wa.” It took them ONLY five days to get me talking again (knowing my drive and passion for talking.) They continued to follow me for five days after I went home. I am now back at full speed now thanks to my “Speech ?? Person”
            and the loving support of my family.

- My last relapse got me to prolonged stuttering, long pauses and then inability to speak or put together sentences or thoughts. Cog Fog I guess. I had to take my wife with me to the Neuro and talk for me. The silence only lasted for three days after that appointment. I woke up one morning and all was normal again. Which only lends itself to the weirdness of MS. On my MRI I have only one sizable lesion near the speech/verbal/motor parking place in my brain. I can only figure that that lesion gets all hot and bothered and shuts down my most enjoyable feature. My wife of 52 years jokes with me that its the only breaks from my talking that she gets.

I hope that this helps to understand some of the varying and dangerous complexities of MS and speech. You really need a caretaker to pick up on things that you may not be able to communicate.

Dave, Tampa, Florida
            "Journeyman"
            Weather: 94 deg. and 39% hum. We have been coming out of a drought. Our hum. is usually in the 80-90% range.
            Status: four years since dx, four months into what is usually a six month remission. Things are already starting to show up. The "lead blanket" has arrived. Despite all I know I still get fearful of my relapses. My loving wife, caretaker and weather vane. She usually spots my symptomatic storms before I do.

Comment

Journeyman Dave....

......you are remarkable. Thank you for posting. Your story has helped me on several occasions. You are a true warrior....thanks for not staying in the comfortable shadows, but coming out to help others. Thank you. Thank you.

Comment

lemstar

Thank you much for your reply. My anxiety level is fairly low, so I guess I'll have to accept the fact that the MonSter is providing yet another challenge.

I love surprises....
                "Tona Naze"
                Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Comment

I have been thru the swallowing studies 3 times. DX? You have issues that can be over come but you have MS and fatigue will get in the way of any improvement.

So I gave up trying to fix it & went for the writing & ACC devices.

KK

Comment

Working...
                  X