Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Paying for" being too active

Hi all,
    I often read about how bad things are the day after someone has pushed themselves too far and was wondering if being able to rest negates the pain, fatigue or whatever it is that MS does to you?

Although I only have what I would call low level fatigue at this point, knock wood, if I am able to hang out in the house, mostly in bed, for the whole next day after over-doing it I am able to recover although the psychological guilt and frustration are still there.

Is that similar to what others experience?
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Hi Jules,

I have never needed a rejuvenation period that long. It usually only takes me an hour or two of quiet time to" recharge" my batteries. I have heard the stories of it taking a day (or three) of down time to do that.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Yes learned a long time ago, I cannot do anything the day after any event, outing or having my grandkids over.

Today is one of those recooping days... off balanced, dizzy, and fatigued!!

Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I can never predict which way it will go. Sometimes when I've had several super busy days, I'll need an afternoon or evening to hit the couch and then other times I get away with no repercussions. If the time of overdoing is stressful as well as busy, it seems to have more of an impact.

I very seldom get the crushing fatigue that I used to and I'm busier than ever. Might be the LDN, might be that it's been ages since my last flare and there's been some healing, or maybe a combination of other factors as well. All I know for sure is that with MS you never know anything for sure!

C

Comment

I generally need at least a day, depending on the activity. Earlier this afternoon, I made gazpacho--cut all the veggies, etc., and now my right leg is jumping all over the place . I hope it stops soon.
          Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

Originally posted by hunterd View Post
            Hi Jules,

I have never needed a rejuvenation period that long. It usually only takes me an hour or two of quiet time to" recharge" my batteries. I have heard the stories of it taking a day (or three) of down time to do that.
            WOW!!! I couldn't be more jealous of a fellow MSer! Good for you hunterd.

I have to pay to play and have tried everything under the sun to combat my fatigue and nothing to date has helped. On the bright side, I still can play, even if it is a far cry from the way I used to and having to rest for what seems like forever afterwards. It was worse when DD was younger. Back then, there was no recouping time whatsoever and no family in the area to help out. I was a zombie for her her entire preschool/early years (I'm sure being an older Mom didn't help, either).

I am constantly searching the fatigue threads on here for any advice I can possibly get...especially since school is letting out for the summer in just a few days and I won't be able to take my mega-naps during the day any more! After all DD might not be a pre-schooler anymore, but she still is an energetic and only child.
            Tawanda

Comment

Thanks so much for your replies and as I suspected fatigue and recuperation is like everything MS... unpredictable.

If anyone ever finds anything that is consistent across the board with MS I'd like to know, lol.
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

I don't think "consistent" ever goes with "MS."

I work Monday - Friday and I usually don't do much on Saturday, just rest up from the work week. I don't always have to rest all of the next day, but that is common, especially if I have a really heavy week.

If I know in advance something will be a challenge, I rest up in advance for a few hours - "prophylactic sleep." That often helps.

And if I have an evening event after work, I'll take a second Provigil mid-day or early afternoon to get me through it. I always take Provigil every single morning or I wouldn't be able to work.

Comment

attn: ONLYAIRFARE

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
                  And if I have an evening event after work, I'll take a second Provigil mid-day or early afternoon to get me through it. I always take Provigil every single morning or I wouldn't be able to work.
                  I take Provigil sparingly because I always crash after the energy boost (although I wouldn't call it an energy boost as much as I would call it a time period of almost feeling "normal", as in how I felt before M.S.). Do you take Provigil without the backlash that I experience?? If it wasn't for the crash, this would indeed be the miracle drug for my M.S. fatigue!
                  Tawanda

Comment

Over the past week, I've been trying to do more. I cleaned the counters in my kitchen, did some cooking, cleaned the bathroom, and some other things. I don't walk well and usually don't have the energy, but pushed myself a bit.

Today was terrible. I could barely walk, even with the walker. The burning, stinging, prickly feeling is worse than usual below my knees, esp my feet. So annoying.

I hate not doing things. I hate having people come in to clean because, for some reason, they like to rearrange my things without consulting me. That just maks things so much worse, because then I waste energy trying to find and put things back.

I hate having to recover from just cleaning and cooking :-(.
                    Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

I still run the sweeper at home (built in), but I have to do it in phases. Each floor after a rest period, as my legs get very wobbly the more I am on my feet.

I still work (desk job), but I really look forward to my two days off to do as little as possible.
                      I have had someone cut the grass for the last few years, and what little yard work I still do (weed whacker), I can only do for about ten minutes, and my legs get weak.

I just bought a battery powered whacker so I don't have to drag around a power cord.

My legs and balance are always bad, but any type of strain on my legs make them worse, but if I sit for a few hours, they get back to where they were before the strain.

Comment

Originally posted by CGMoonbeam View Post
                        I hate having to recover from just cleaning and cooking :-(.
                        I hear you on that! It would be different if you got to do something fun and then had to pay the price.

Hopefully you will feel a bit better soon. Hang in there.
                        Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                        X