Not so good Neuro appt....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not so good Neuro appt....

I went to my neuro today because I have been having some problems and I wanted to get checked out before leaving for Los Angeles on Thursday. We talked a bit as usual then came the exam. First my reflexes were hyper in his words I am very jumpy. Then came the balance and strength tests which I bombed miserably.

For the strength test he had me sit in a chair with my hands in the air. Then asked me to stand straight up in the chair. Well, I did, after scooting all the way to the edge of the chair and lunging forward using my body weight to help me stand.

Then for the balance portion, I walked across the room. Then he asked me to get on my tip toes and walk. As I started to stand on my tip-toes I lost my balance and had to grab the door knob for support. Then came the walking part. Well that was not nice, I did not take one step. Not one. I told him I could not do it. I couldn't. My mind said walk but my legs said no!!

So back to his office where he tells me he is concerned about what he sees and that he wished I would not take the trip to L.A.. I said I had to go I am the best man in a wedding next Saturday. He looked up and in a tone he has never used with me hw said he would not go and he wanted to see me next Wed.. The day before I leave. I do not look forward to that visit.

He also recommended I use a wheelchair in the airports so I do not have to walk more than necessary. Which by the way was the reason for the visit. Weakness in my legs, fatigued leg muscles after walking even short distances at times. Extreme muscle stiffness in my back and neck which at times is very painful and affects my movement.

So I guess only time will tell. All I can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

I'm sorry you are having these problems, Waydwnsouth1! It is terribly disappointing to have an MS flare, especially if it threatens your trip.

It is a good idea to use a wheelchair service in the airport anyway, if you have any mobility limitations. Also board the aircraft right away when they ask for "those who need assistance," so that you don't have to stand in a long line.

Maybe you will improve between now and next Wednesday. And - you are a grown-up so you may go to the wedding whether the neuro wishes you would avoid it or not.

Talk with your friend who is getting married and see about what accommodations can be made to minimize your stress on the trip (lots of AC, avoid long walks), and maximize your ability to serve as best man.

Most airports and airlines have "gate pass" privileges if you need a friend/family member to assist you to and from the gate, even if they don't have a ticket.

If you really cannot make the trip, so be it. But if a few modifications of your travel make it possible, I hope you are able to attend.

Comment

Maybe, some oral steriods would help!

Sara

Comment

Maybe you could ask what he's afraid might happen and what will happen after he sees you next week? What is the risk?

Is he worried you will fall and injure yourself? That can be serious. I have a friend who injured himself falling because his balance was off. If you use a wheelchair, would he feel comfortable?

Finally, evaluate how important the trip is.

Comment

If it's a flare, 'roid up!

I really, really had to be at a wedding, eight hour drive away. I wasn't feeling brilliant, and I knew it would get worse and I'd stuff up the first family wedding in two years.
          Answer: 'roids.

Ordinarily I would probably have put up with it, but well, the things work.

I enjoyed the wedding - full of energy, able to walk without falling over for once. No dancing, obviously, but hey ho.

If it's not a flare, then I can't see why the neurologist can't wait until after you've done your best man duties.

Comment

Use the wheelchair!

If you have the option of using a wheelchair, even outside of the airport, do it. It will mean you can focus your energy on being a good friend and a good best man, instead of on staying upright and not falling over.

It doesn't need to be a permanent choice, and if you feel too uncomfortable using it where your friends will see, okay, but really, it is just a tool that you can use to make it more possible to do the things you want to do.
            Accepting reality is not the same as wanting to have a problem. It means accepting something that will be happening whether I want it or not.

Comment

Working...
            X