Laser Treatment for Neuropathy Pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laser Treatment for Neuropathy Pain?

My breakthrough pain in my feet has been increasing even though my medications have also been increased. Currently I am on Lyrica, Neurontin and Tramodol as well as Lidocaine gel. I take 100 of Lyrica, 200 of Neurontin and 50 of Tramodol, all at night because I am afraid to drive with this cocktail.

There is one particularly horrible area of 3 toes on my right foot, and the pain clinic said the nerve conduction studies were much worse on my left foot. Who cares, it is the right foot that is making me miserable.

I have been researching some sites indicating laser treatment can eliminate nerve pain, and that seems to make much more sense than to have to take all this pain medication.

Has anyone ever done this?

I always assumed that was for diabetic neuropathy, which actually takes place in the nerves in your foot. Since the pain you experience is probably due to nerve damage in your spinal cord or brain, then it probably wouldn't be effective.

Comment

I just found this for Numbness and Tingling. It was just published today. Ask your neuro if he/she thinks it might help with MS numbness.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Hematolo...otherapy/33078

CHICAGO -- The antidepressant duloxetine (Cymbalta) appears to cut down on the numbness and tingling associated with taxane or platinum-based chemotherapy, according to clinical trial results.
      That makes duloxetine the first drug to work against this chronic neuropathy in a clinical trial, Smith noted at an ASCO press conference.
      Some other drugs, such as tricyclic antidepressants and gabapentin, are commonly used but haven't been proven in randomized trials for neuropathy, she toldMedPage Today.

Comment

Thanks, BigA. I have tried Cymbalta for a month because that was the prescribed amount, and I did not have any relief and actually had more burning than with Lyrica. I cost me over $260 for Cymbalta, and Lyrica is only $130.

If the nerve fibers were destroyed by laser, then signals to the brain should end?

Since my unresolved pain only involves 3 toes, and the burning and pain in both feet are helped immensely by Lyrica and Neurontin, I was hoping for permanent solution without taking more medication. I take Neurontin with Lyrica to keep the Lyrica dosage down since Lyrica is also very expensive.

According to the nerve conduction study, I have both neuropathy and demyelination in both feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ga dancer View Post

If the nerve fibers were destroyed by laser, then signals to the brain should end?

According to the nerve conduction study, I have both neuropathy and demyelination in both feet.
          The question is where is the Neuropathy? If you have nerve damage in your foot, then treating the foot may help. However, with MS any numbness and tingling we feel in our hands or feet is actually due to demylenation in our brains and spinal cords.

You'd have to ask your doctor, but if your neuropathy is caused by MS, then I don't think there is any physical treatment.

By the way, if you're paying a lot of money for drugs, you might try generics. Many work just as well as the newer, expensive drugs. Amitriptyline always has high marks for neuropathic pain relief in studies. It does have more side effects, but you can ask your doctor.

Comment

Working...
          X