CAN TRIGEMINAL NEURITIS CAUSE EYE PAIN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAN TRIGEMINAL NEURITIS CAUSE EYE PAIN?

I WAS JUST WANDERING IF TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA CAN CAUSE EYE PAIN, I HAVE THIS ACHY SOMETIMES STABING SENSATION IN AND AROUND MY RIGHT EYE SINCE MARCH. I DO NOT HAVE A SINUS INFECTION OR A HEADACHE. SOMETIMES IT GOES DOWN MY FACE AND NEAR MY EAR. PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Yes, it can. The trigeminal nerve got it's name because it has three branches. One of them is an ophthalmic branch that serves the forehead, upper eyelid, front of the eye and upper sinuses. Another is the maxillary branch that serves the lower eyelid and cheek. The third is the mandibular branch that serves the rest of the face and around the ear. All three branches extend into the lining of the brain, and all three connect to the places you're having pain. Your neurologist -- or a neuro-ophthalmologist -- can help determine if the trigeminal nerve is causing your eye pain.

Comment

Trigeminal Neuralgia certainly affects me by the intensely painful stabbing in my eye. It's just awful.

My TN attacks usually start with the eye and then go into my teeth and jaw. My vision isn't usually affected - so I usually wait to see if the usual jaw pain joins in to the pain factor before contacting my neurologist.

I currently am not doing anything for TN. My body doesn't tolerate the anti-seizure meds at all and I haven't really looked into anything else at them moment. Should it ever get to the point where it doesn't show signs of going away I will have to do something. The last round was really bad.

The one thing my neurologist said that is absolutely accurate is that every time it comes back it is worse than the last time. I want to keep working, and I can't work when I am on the anti-epileptics. I need my ability to think clearly for my job - all the anti-seizure drugs that I have tried take that away. (I have been on them before to try and control migraines)

Comment

Working...
      X