Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lots of lower back stiffness?

I am having a terrible time with low back stiffness. Saw my

PT and he has me doing stretches. Stretching helps for a short time.

I am on Baclofen and several other medications.

Is low back stiffness something most people with M.S. deal with?
    LA dx MS feb 2008
    Avonex Feb 2008-May 2009, Betaseron July 2009-Oct 2011 -- Tysabri Nov 2012-2014 -- Tecfidera 2014-2015 (allergic reaction) --Copaxone 2015-2016 (could not tolerate the painful itching) -- Tysabri November 2016 - Trying CBD for pain control

Hello. My back is stiff, too, a bit higher up. in my case, it's because I spend too much time sitting down. Not through choice, but necessity - staring at a computer at work for hours.

Comment

Hi, I'm sean, just new in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by slckjebw View Post
        I am having a terrible time with low back stiffness. Saw my

PT and he has me doing stretches. Stretching helps for a short time.

I am on Baclofen and several other medications.

Is low back stiffness something most people with M.S. deal with?
        Boy i sure do! The worst lower back spasticity. I am on balofen too. Not sure I am taking enough, but my neuro said to play with it until I find what works for me (but not to take more then 80 mg).

Comment

It stinks doesn't it? I am on 60mgs of Baclofen and my doctor won't let me take more.

I am on 2100mgs of Neurontin. Every time he increased my Neurontin my back felt better but it did not last.

My MRI of my lower back looked ok so i do not have pinched nerves. So oh well......
          LA dx MS feb 2008
          Avonex Feb 2008-May 2009, Betaseron July 2009-Oct 2011 -- Tysabri Nov 2012-2014 -- Tecfidera 2014-2015 (allergic reaction) --Copaxone 2015-2016 (could not tolerate the painful itching) -- Tysabri November 2016 - Trying CBD for pain control

Comment

problems with walking?

slckjebw,

I have had bouts of lower back pain, but it is usually b/c I have had weakness in my legs. Have you had difficulty with walking? If so, it could be causing your lower back to hurt. This is simply b/c of the strain put on your core muscles (stomach and back/torso) to pull the weight that your weak/spastic legs should be pulling.

If I'm wrong, just ignore what I said for now, and keep it in the back of your mind in case you later have difficulty walking. In my case, I've been told to strengthen my core muscles. Of course, that should be done BEFORE the back pain starts. Sometimes just some rest, warm towel on your back, and a non-inflammatory pain reliever (motrin, advil) can help until you can get those core moscle strengthened.

Hope you find the cause and can get some relief!
            Sherry

Comment

problems with walking?

slckjebw,

I have had bouts of lower back pain, but it is usually b/c I have had weakness in my legs. Have you had difficulty with walking? If so, it could be causing your lower back to hurt. This is simply b/c of the strain put on your core muscles (stomach and back/torso) to pull the weight that your weak/spastic legs should be pulling.

If I'm wrong, just ignore what I said for now, and keep it in the back of your mind in case you later have difficulty walking. In my case, I've been told to strengthen my core muscles. Of course, that should be done BEFORE the back pain starts. Sometimes just some rest, warm towel on your back, and a non-inflammatory pain reliever (motrin, advil) can help until you can get those core moscle strengthened.

Hope you find the cause and can get some relief!
              Sherry

Comment

M.S. has affected my walking very much.

I wear braces and use a scooter when needed.
                LA dx MS feb 2008

Comment

Working...
                X