Another dizzy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another dizzy question

Lately I've noticed that when I stop the car I start feeling dizzy. It's like I'm still in motion. The neuro tells me I have Vestibular dizziness and there is nothing they can do for it.

Anyone have any info?
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hey Marti,

I also used to get that while driving (now it is full time dizziness) and I found that taking over-the-counter Bonine (a motion sickness pill that contains Meclizine) once a day helped minimize the problem. The Meclizine is supposed to last 24hours but I found it was only good for about 10. My Neuro at the time suggested I just take it as needed taken 2 hours before I had to drive. A tip I can give is to rest your eyes when you can (not while driving) and wear sunglasses when possible to reduce squinting and eye strain.

Comment

This almost sounds like a variation of "sea legs". If we were out to sea for a while, it always felt like the solid pier was moving when I'd first walk on it.

There was an old trick we used to use instead of wearing "scope" patches behind the ear. Just find something elastic that's smaller than your wrist, like a rubber band, and wear it on either wrist. Sometimes one side works better than the other. The idea was that the band put some pressure on some nerves which helped cut down on light cases of vertigo.

I'm guessing you're feeling some mild vertigo. In the car you don't feel the movement but once you're back on solid ground the mind keeps the memory going.

I've used this in the recent past with good effect. I slip an elastic hair band around my wrist when I'm feeling wobbly. My hair is also pretty long so its also handy if I'm going to a meeting or a restaurant.

Comment

There is a technique that some audiologists use for vertigo, which might help you. It involves tilting your head in different positions. It is based on the precept that vertigo is caused by a crystal floating in the fluid in your inner ear. The tilting lodges the crystal so it won't float, and give you the feeling of motion. Worth checking out....

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice. I should mention that I can't watch traffic or trains going by either. This feeling of being in motion while sitting still is something new for me. But the dizziness has been going on for years. Meclazine tends to make me sleepy. In fact, most meds do that. Guess it's a trade off... dizzy or sleepy? Which is easier to deal with?? Yikes.
          Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Marti,

Vertigo and dizzyness are 2 very different things (when trying to explain symptoms to your dr). Vestibular is a *****! Please google "VEDA". Hopefully you will find info that will help in some way.

I'm in the same boat but maybe a little further out. Driving is the only time I'm NOT dizzy. Not a happy camper!
            Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
            Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

Working...
            X