Travelling or Vacations with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling or Vacations with MS

OK, how I'm I going to "carry it" on vacation? It always seems like "endless" gathering of info and making arrangements. I don't want to be a "burden" but know I will need help. Maybe going to Virgina beach. I want all to have fun

Will anyone share a "check list" of things to know; find out, or arrange when going on vacation?
    [I]Tellnhelen
    Progressive Relapsing MS

My hubby and I went on our first 'mini vacation', basically two nights away to Virginia Beach this weekend (just got back tonight). I am very lucky in that so far, I haven't noticed a lot of symptoms with my MS, so was able to tolerate the heat and do pretty much normal things.

I did have to plan to take along my Copaxone. Shared Solutions sent me a very nice travel case that I am able to put my shots, autoinjector and my other supplies into. I had to take along a cooler, but also had to make sure that I only kept the shots cool and didn't freeze them. At the two hotels we stayed in, I kept my Copaxone case out of the refridgerators and was glad that I did since the pop we put into them half froze. That could have affected my shots.

The other challenge was to keep the Copaxone cool in the van when we would stop to do things while traveling. Make sure you have a good cooler. I have had coolers that weren't so good and would either melt all the ice or get warm in short order with the high temps outside. The cooler that I used, I put the freezer packs inside of it rather than ice so my Copaxone container wouldn't get wet.

If you have more physical challenges, you may want to request a handicapped accessible room which will require some advanced planning on your part. You'll also want to take a look at the activities and restaurants where you may be going as not all are handicapped accessible and not all have accessible restrooms. In Va Beach, for example, parking is at a premium if you're not staying at a hotel on the beach and bathrooms are few and far between.

Comment

Woodstock addressed some potential problems. But, you gave us very little info about what your vacation concerns are. All of us are different, with different MS symptoms, and varying levels of ability or disability.

What "info and arrangements" are you gathering, in what ways do you expect that you might become a "burden", what "help" do you need, and, what "fun" are you worried about missing?

I'm sure there'd be someone here that could address your issues. But, if you could, please spell out your issues for us in a little more detail.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Tellnhelen, I put together a comprehensive list of tips and tricks for traveling with MS for ActiveMSers. I travel extensively and have many typical MS issues like mobility and urgency.

activemsers.org/tipstricks/travelingwithms.html

Speaking of urgency, I just got back from France and wrote about their toilets ... and came up with some basic French bathroom rules.

Traveling and multiple sclerosis go together like chocolate syrup and sardines. So those of us with this disease appreciate the little things that make globetrotting a little easier, like easy-to-access public toilets. Which, I discovered on a recent escape to France, virtually do not exist in a country that mandates diuretics—coffee, wine, champagne—at most meals. So I’ve come up with a handy set of rules to make it easier to navigate the bladder wars and dampen (no pun intended) your panic quotient when you’ve gotta go.

activemsers.blogspot.com/2012/05/les-toilettes-french-folly.html
        Hope you find the two articles useful! Cheers,

Dave Bexfield, ActiveMSers.org

Comment

Thanks all for responses. My plans are still in progress. I intend to get accessible room. Also gonna rent beach wheelchair. Don't know how that works yet but I may ask hotel to take out 2nd bed so I'll have room for scooter and wheelchair. Will be sure to look at the list. Sure other issues will arise.
          [I]Tellnhelen
          Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

I have not looked at the list, so this may be repeating./ If you fly, ask for a wheelchair, allows for first boarding for you and another person. I am on Rebif which can stay out 30 days, but I have a lunch bag from Thirty one, which is insulated. I just take that as one of my carry ons, or in a large purse orwhatever. I have had the bag, a purse, and a carry one and have never had any problems...Check the internet. We are going to NYC in the middle of summer for a family wedding, and my dd found a polace that rents small wheelchairs and delivers them to your hotel and picks them up there when you leave for only 100 for a weekend. Well worth it to me. I know I may not be able to do alot during the day of the wedding, but dh entire family is going so he and dd have someone to do stuff with. I just want to be able to enjoy the evening. Goes without saying, wear cool clothes and if you do walk comfy shoes. Just have fun...

JudySz

Comment

Working...
            X