When 'Inspirational Stories' don't inspire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When 'Inspirational Stories' don't inspire

I read an article from a local paper today. It was a story about Montel Williams and his MS and all the things he does and can do that keeps him both incredibly active, fit and his MS pretty much invisible.

Normally these articles don't affect me. Today though it just hit me - well of course no one I know understands my MS when these super-human articles about white water rafting and snowboarding, diet and an exercise 5 day a week exercise regimes are mentioned. These stories might inspire some. It just made me angry.

Well look at what these people are doing!? Why can't that be you? Um... because these people are not me. There are a multitude of reasons why there is distinct disparity between me and my version of MS and, in this case, Montel Williams.

I often find, in my personal experience, these articles when also read by friends and family do so much damage especially when the observable symptoms are still relatively mild (or I have adapted ways to hide them unless you look really close, or know what to look for)

Now if I could just find a way make the cane a little more invisible...

I hear ya and personally try to ignore most anything reported about celebrities as their money, handlers and airbrushing access makes anything a regular person is capable of doing seem insignificant.

On the other hand there are times when I'm like "I'm 47 stinking years old, have MS and just did xyz" so I feel I should be able to discuss my successes with pride. It is because I know the time will come all too soon when I won't be able.

I really hate this disease.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

You're right. The opposite is also true. When I was first diagnosed, I was hardpressed to find a picture of someone with MS who wasn't on a scooter and I was depressed.

We're torn between the two images of a person with MS, both of which are completely valid. For some reason, diabetes doesn't have the same problem, though there is as wide a difference in outcomes.

It would be good if all types were shown more, but no one really tries to show a representative group, possibly out of self-interest. If they're asking for money, get out the wheelchair pics. If they're selling medecine or a juicer, get out the hiking pics!

Comment

I was 'inspirational', until I was obviously disabled. 'You're doing so well' and 'you look so good' has dried up.

Now it's 'are you sure you're all right?', which is equally irritating, but for a different reason.
        It's a funny old world.

Is it because people feel sorry for you, which is okay, I suppose, or because they're embarrassed because they don't know what to say?

In the end, it's the MS that I'm angry about, not so much how other people react.

BigA is right - there's no definitive 'this is what MS looks like.' it's either worst case or best case. The rest of us in the middle don't fit the media image.

Comment

Working...
        X