saw my neuro, not O.N.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw my neuro, not O.N.

I got in to see my neuro yesterday and she checked my eyes and said it was not O.N. but I have a long history of migraines and she thinks I have them all the time now. kinda hard to argue with since they never go away just sometimes they are not as bad as other times.

She wants me to go on topiramate (Topamax) but everything I have read and researched says it is a really bad drug. I already have cognitive problems and this drug makes them worse plus many other side effects. Very scared of this drug and I am sure my wife will be getting mad at me when she learns I looked it up. Any one with any knowledge on this drug please let me know. What surprises me is that my dr. would prescribe this with all my current problems. Tortis

Topamax: I was on this for over a year and just recently got off of it. It was to help control my hand tremor.

I lost about 30 lbs and had to work hard to not lose anymore (as I would have been underweight then). I just didn't have an appetite and nothing ever sounded good. Also had hair loss and acne problems.

I already have major cognitive issues, so that part didn't bother me too much. Most of the bigger symptoms (nausea, cog fog, etc) were mainly only "bad" when I was either going on or off the medication. Once my body got used to the dose I was on, it wasn't so bad.

I actually liked Topamax (way better than other drugs I've been on that you have to slowly go on or off of, like Lyrica and Cymbalta). I never had migraines, my hand tremor was better on it, and I got skinny.

If it weren't for the hair falling out and the acne, I would have stayed on it.

The biggest key is to go on and off slowly (by 25mg). I think for migraines, it isn't too high of a dose, depending on. I was on 200 mg a day and could have gone higher for my hand tremor if not for the side effects.

I think with all drugs there are pros and cons and you have to weigh whether the pros outweigh the cons. For me, topamax wasn't some awful thing...I just got to a point where I wanted off as many drugs as possible.

Hope this helps! If you are hesitant to do topamax, there are other migraine meds to try if you haven't already. Topamax just seems to be the big drug to use for everything right now.
    Erin

doing the Limbo since 2005

Comment

Imatrex (brand name) was good for when I had migraines. It comes in generic also but I have forgotten the name.
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

I use Topamax for migraine reduction and do like it. I have fewer migraines and they are less intense.

Comment

topamax need more replys please

Hi, I want to thank you all for the replys, but I really could use more replys as I did more research on topamax and it was more negative than before. My dr. really wants me to take it but I already have many of the symptons they show as side effects. Fast pulse, numerous kidney stones, cognitive problems, dizziness, fatigue and more. I am really scared of this drug but I really like my nuerologist and do not want her mad at me. Please send me more replys on this.
          Tortis

Comment

Have you told your neurologist your concerns? If you already have kidney stones, I would think that would be a flag to really consider whether it is the right drug for you. Perhaps she will be able to help you with your concerns- or perhaps she will agree and have you try something else.
            Erin

doing the Limbo since 2005

Comment

have you consulted with an opthamologist or a neuroopthamologist for a second opinion on your visual problems? maybe there is something going on with your eyes after all. if you are weighing your options then it would be a good idea to get that second opinion.
              dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

Working...
              X