Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IVSM Vision Side Effect Question

Hi!

After yet another MRI that showed two tiny new lesions, my neuro wanted me to go on pulsed IVSM again (500mg a day for two days--monthly for 6 months). These lesions had no accompanying symptoms BTW.

I don't tolerate steroids well anymore, getting ALL the nasty side effects (dizzy, skin and muscle pain, unable to focus, etc.), so I'm very unhappy to say the least. Just happy to remain on Copaxone until BG-12 comes out!

I did the infusions this past Thurs and Fri. By Saturday night, I felt like absolute ****! This is not uncommon. But also Sat night, my vision began to get 'fuzzy'. Not like optic neuritis, but fuzzy overall in both eyes.

I just got into my primary doc (neuro is out of office 'til tomorrow) and he felt it may be a side effect of the IVSM, but wants me to follow up with eye dr., which I will call tomorrow to make an appt. And he did test my blood sugar, which was normal.

Has anyone had or heard of this sort of thing as a side effect on IVSM? I have had ON in the past, so I do have some residual damage in one eye. I think this fuzzy vision after IVSM has happened to me before, but I can't remember for sure. I'm so mad at myself for allowing myself to be talked into doing these again. Thanks for any advice!

Hi Sonya:
    Blurry vision occurs fairly often as a side effects of steroids. I get it frequently with my IVSM 3-days. Considering how often it occurs, it's surprising that blurry vision doesn't show up very often on lists of steroid side effects.

You've had ON before, so you're familiar with what that looks like. It's the "fuzzy overall in both eyes" (plus the timing) that characterizes this blur as a medication side effect rather than an MS/ON effect. Hang in there! It should clear up in a few days.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply! I guess I always get a little freaked out with vision problems! I just got back from the eye dr. (as my primary dr. had instructed) and no ON or pressure changes, etc. He said, same as you, sounds like a side effect issue. So thank you again for sharing your experience and easing my mind!

Comment

Working...
      X