new aches that nag at me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new aches that nag at me

i have been very fortunate with painful symptoms , but lately i have some arm and sholder pain . it stops my range of motion .

i was wondering if a hot shower would help . i usually avoid hot anything because it sets my symptoms off , but i need to use my arms . i am avoiding the hot shower not wanting to trigger things but this is getting too long to have bothersome symptoms . help please

I would call the neuro first. I take naproxen and flexoril when I have major tightness and pain. Maybe your neuro can prescribe something to help. Heat may cause more problems if you're sensitive to it.
    Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

I sometimes get a little relief from sore muscle rub (I use Badger, which has cayenne pepper and ginger, but you could also use something with menthol).

You could also try filling an old sock with rice, tying the top shut, and microwaving it for two or three minutes. It gives a local moist heat. Whole flax seeds work better for this, in my experience, but people are generally more likely to have rice on hand.

They also have heating packs at the drug store or pharmacy, although those aren't always reuseable.
      Accepting reality is not the same as wanting to have a problem. It means accepting something that will be happening whether I want it or not.

Comment

If you must use heat, you may want to try a heating pad instead of a hot shower. That way the heat is just affecting a small part of your body and not heating up all of you.

Are you on any medications for spasticity? Baclofen or Zanaflex can help with that. Of course, it may not be MS related and could just be a muscle strain or sprain. You might try NSAIDS, if you can take them.

I hope you get some relief soon.

Hugs,

Lisa
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

My ex is Asian and they swear by this "green medicine" that comes in a little bottle and which contains menthol and other things. Go to an Asian store and ask for "green medicine" and they will probably know what you want. It is packaged in a green box about 3" tall, 2" wide and 3/4" thick.

I will rub some in to painful or tight muscles (mostly my lower legs) using latex gloves (don't want this stuff in your eyes) and then will start beating myself! Yeah, hit yourself in the affected areas hard. Soon, this action should loosen up your muscles and you will feel better.

I guess the warmth of the medicine helps relax the muscles, and the beating helps establish more blood flow. Sounds crazy, but it often works.

Comment

Oh, and Aspercreme works great too. It doesn't burn like BenGay or those other menthol creams. I use it on my hands when I'm having problems with spasticity.
            Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Originally posted by dosoyaka View Post
              but lately i have some arm and sholder pain . it stops my range of motion .
              I would suggest you see your PCP to and make sure something other than MS is not the problem. Too many times people with MS assume symptoms or difficulties are due to the disease --- sometimes it is and sometimes it's not.

Don't forget -- not everything is caused by MS.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
              X