What to do with full needle containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with full needle containers

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas.

From my mail order insurance I can get syringe containers which is great, except once they are full I have no idea what to do with them. I've tried researching online but haven't come up with anything except mail back programs if you buy their containers.

What does everyone else do with full containers? Is there some place I can mail them to that won't require me to buy their container first?

Thanks!

Kim

I take mine to the fire department and they dispose of them for me. Hope that helps!

Comment

Our city has hazardous waste disposal. I know some counties also offer this. I would also suggest calling the trash company. Ours will pick them up from us. Good luck!

Comment

Take them to a local EMS service.

Comment

I drop mine off for free at a local waste transfer station.

Here's a brochure related to your 92279 zip code but also good reading for all:

http://www.sbcfire.org/hazmat/pdf/hh...s_brochure.pdf

Whatever you do, please don't put the needles in the trash or recyling, even if the needles are in another container. The laws by state, and additional information, are outlined below:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.a...=7002&id=10284

Comment

full sharps container

You can take the full sharps container to a local pharmacy to dispose for you.

Comment

Search for your county (by name & state) and "sharps disposal"

Your county health department info should show up in the first few search results...
              1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
              NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Sharps Disposal

I would suggest that you go to the website www.safeneedledisposal.org. It will give you a state-by-state list of the laws pertinent to needle disposal and where you can dispose of the Sharps containers. I live in California and take my container to the designated local fire station. In CA you cannot put them in your trash container.

Comment

You could try:

-Contact the Dr. who prescribed it in the first place. Ask their office what you're supposed to do with your old junk.

-Ask about it where you get your labwork done. If a lab draws blood, they have a way to dispose of needles plus they make money off you.

-Ask at your town office, many times they won't have a clue but you never know until you try. But please, don't accept "Just pitch it" as the right answer.

-Ask at a drugstore, just bear in mind that many drug stores provide needle disposal for their customers. If they sold it to you, they know what was in those needles.

-Sometimes, fire and EMS services can have a turn-in program. Assume that if they do, its VERY VERY voluntary on their part and treat them accordingly.

Comment

BTW, its also really handy to find a needle clipper. BD makes a really nice unit that's cheap (about $4 US) and very easy to use. I do shots every other day and my two year old clipper isn't close to full yet.
                    The clipper doesn't make the rest of the syringe any less HAZMAT (although it might in some lacations) but it does cut down the chances of anyone else getting poked.

You can check the "diabetis aisle" at your local drug store to find this kind of stuff.

Comment

hospital

local hospitals will dispose of sharps too. it is free.
                      You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

More on Sharps Disposal

I already posted on this thread about the way I dispose of Sharps containers, and some of the replies posted here kind of bother me. Please do not assume that just because you can drop your containers off at labs, your doctor's office, hospitals, pharmacies, in your trash, with your City or County, at an EMS office, etc. that the rest of us are able to do so. Neither my doctor's office, hospital, pharmacy, City or EMS office will accept Sharps containers. Every State is different. Some are more strict and others are less strict. As Bob698 said, do not accept "just pitch it" as an answer.

Comment

I can see your point, we can't assume there's one right answer. Rather, we have to figure out which one is best.

Zil- Not all hospitals will gladly accept Sharps. They have no idea what's in the container or they have their own rules to follow or they had cutbacks and might be short-staffed. Many hospitals are there for the patients and maybe their families while the patients are there.

That being said, its also a good idea to invest in a Sharpie pen once you find a place to accept Sharps. Before I turn in a container, I write what's inside of it (ie, "Clipped Interferon B glass syringes and vials") plus my last name on the container. That way, they know what's in the container (it isn't an old sandwich or nuclear waste) and who dropped it off.

Comment

Take mine to our local hospital and they exchange it for a new empty one.
                            Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

Working...
                            X