More proof of VitaminD levels and disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More proof of VitaminD levels and disability

NEW ORLEANS – Higher vitamin D levels are associated with slightly less disability and greater preservation of gray matter in patients with multiple sclerosis, according to a 5-year observational study.

http://www.familypracticenews.com/ne...4a0724bc0.html

I just had my Vitamin D level checked. Very low. My Endo put me on 2000 iu per day.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Great News!!

I need to get my D checked but last time it was in the lower range of 'normal' so I upped my Vitamin D!
      Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
      Ampyra 10mg 2xday
      Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Originally posted by BigA View Post
        NEW ORLEANS – Higher vitamin D levels are associated with slightly less disability and greater preservation of gray matter in patients with multiple sclerosis, according to a 5-year observational study.

http://www.familypracticenews.com/ne...4a0724bc0.html
        Thank you for sharing. This is my new neuro! When I last met with her in November, she did recommend that I take 2000 iu of vitamin D3. I can't say that I've been very regular about it, but after reading the research results I will be much better about it. My 28 yo son started taking the vitamin after I mentioned it in November and has been excellent about keeping that up. I hope I can convince my 18 yo daughter to do the same.

Comment

I'm glad you posted this. I have always given my daughter vitamin D supplements to try to prevent her from getting M.S., but as for me, I thought why do I take it? I've already got M.S. so what is the point now?? Kind of like closing the barn door after the horse is out.

Glad to know that perhaps one of these pills I take might really be doing something for me!

Thanks!
          Tawanda

Comment

Hi BigA and thanks for posting this as well! In addition, I just wanted to reminded everyone or let them know that the research, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, shows that people with the lowest vitamin D levels have more than double the risk of dying from heart disease and other causes over an eight-year period compared with those with the highest vitamin D levels. The researchers cite "decreased outdoor activity" (no news there!) as one reason that people may become deficient in vitamin D. Another recent study found an increased risk of heart attacks in those with low vitamin D levels.

Take care of yourselves!

Comment

Good stuff! I really liked that this physician is working on another study to try and determine what if anything this actually means for us. Just because low vitamin D levels might contribute to increased flares doesn't necessarily mean that supplementation with vitamin D equals less MS flares. And also is Vitamin D supplementation contraindicated for people with MS?

They are recruiting for this study now if anyone is interested:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...m=mowry&rank=1
              He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
              Anonymous

Comment

I too had my vitamin D level checked and my neuro told me to take 2000 units a day. I have read stories of MS patients taking 50000 units and having the ability to get rid of the wheel chair of gain the ability back to talk. So I believe it is def a good thing.

Comment

No Vitamin D Deficiency, should I still take supplement?

Originally posted by katz3bratz View Post
                  I have read stories of MS patients taking 50000 units and having the ability to get rid of the wheel chair of gain the ability back to talk. So I believe it is def a good thing.
                  50,000 units? Although Vitamin D could be a good thing, this sounds a bit incredible. Remember that this is often a disease of remission, which could also explain somebody with M.S. needing a W/C one day and and then not needing one the next. Of course, I would love to be wrong...!

All I know is that my Vitamin D was checked, and much to my dismay, it was perfect. I still take the standard 5000 IU just in case, but I don't know if it's doing anything since I didn't have a deficiency to begin with. I still give my DD supplements because even if there is the smallest chance that it can protect her from aquiring M.S., I'll do it (after all, a simple orange here and there could have saved thousands from the disease scurvy back in the day!).
                  Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                    50,000 units? Although Vitamin D could be a good thing, this sounds a bit incredible.
                    I've never thought it worth evaluating, but on other MS forums I've seen mentions of supplementation that high many times. They claim it matters whether its D2 or D3, and that you also need other supplements (magnesium?) to properly absorb the D.

Not that I'm against hedging our bets, but I only take 1000-2000 units of D3 on a semi-regular basis...
                    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I'm pretty sure the 50K/week level needs to be Dr. prescribed.
                      I was one of the people who did the 50K D trial with the VA.
                      My levels were low but later came back up. I'd like to say getting my D levels back in range did something but I didn't notice any real changes. Still nice to read about a possible heart benefit.

Just make sure to get your vit levels checked prior to trying anything and make sure your Dr. is on-board with your plan. Not all Dr's are buying into this yet and over-doing it with Vit D can carry some health risks.

Comment

50,000? Meh, I'm fairly sure you shouldn't be taking a fat-soluble vitamin in those quantities without consulting your MD - you can overdose on Vitamin D and give yourself hypercalcemia, which essentially makes you act like a crazy-person/psychotic - AND strips the calcium from your bones. NOT good.

That said, I take 2000 IU with calcium a day. I DO know higher levels of vitamin D can suppress the immune system...it's finding the optimal anti-inflammatory dosage without causing harm right?
                        RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Originally posted by KateA2 View Post
                          50,000? Meh, I'm fairly sure you shouldn't be taking a fat-soluble vitamin in those quantities without consulting your MD - you can overdose on Vitamin D and give yourself hypercalcemia, which essentially makes you act like a crazy-person/psychotic - AND strips the calcium from your bones. NOT good.

That said, I take 2000 IU with calcium a day. I DO know higher levels of vitamin D can suppress the immune system...it's finding the optimal anti-inflammatory dosage without causing harm right?
                          And how are you finding the optimal dosage?

Firstly, it's important to get the doses straight. The 50,000 dose is a dose commonly prescribed by doctors. My mom takes it. It is 50,000 per week, which translates into 5000IU per day.

According to some studies on people with MS, at 2000IU, you are taking a very low dose and may not be getting the benefit.

Here's another study: You can click the icon in the upper right hand side of the page to get the actual study:

http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...to+control+MS/

Comment

First time posting.. diagnosed 3 weeks ago almost.

My Dr. saw my level was 26 for Vitamin D so he has me taking 5000iu of Vitamin D3 daily. In 3 months we will check my blood levels and I hope it does "something" for me.

for a little background I only have sensory issues. One is my numb hands (getting better day by day due to Solumedrol). I also have numbness from waist down (not as intense as my hands) and used to have the Hug but that went away after the Solumedrol. I currently have 1 7mm lesion on my C3/C4 are of the spinal cord, and I have 2 3-4mm lesions on my brain and several other slightly smaller (all equals about 7)

Comment

Hi Hexed,

you probably want to take more than 5k. 5k is a conservative dose and will only raise your levels slowly. There is a lot of literature out there that says that 10k/day is not only safe, but that you also need a higher than normal level of Vitamin D as a person with MS.

To give you an idea how this is becoming accepted in the medical community, here is a mainstream MS clinic advising a VitaminD level of 100ng/mL which from what I understand, you are unlikely to achieve on 5000IU per day.

I started at 5000 per day and switched to 10000. After 3 years, I'm still not up to 100ng/mL, but am close. It's different with every person, so be sure to get tested.
                              Here's the site:
                              [FONT=Verdana][/F://www.swedish.org/Services/Neuroscience-Institute/Neuroscience-Services/Multiple-Sclerosis/Alternative-Treatments/Vitamin-D-Patient-Info-Sheet#axzz1vcyaUqPZONT]
                              http://www.swedish.org/Services/Neur...#axzz1vcyaUqPZ

Comment

Working...
                              X