Still me, still ms labeled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still me, still ms labeled

Hello all, and Happy Mothers' Day to all you caretakers out there~ whichever gender or age you may be!

I'm just home from another week in Bethesda at NIH, where I'm part of the Parkinson's Disease Risk Study. I'm considered a "normal control" in that study ... someone with genetic risk but no symptoms yet ... they are looking for early biomarkers to help the next generation reach diagnosis sooner and receive interventive medications sooner.

I've never accepted the diagnosis of RRMS, and last fall I discontinued the daily injections. Since stopping, I feel stronger, more focused, more like my old self. I feel less false, and more true to who I am.

Bethesda compared my present MRIs to those they took eighteen months ago, and noted a worsening of lesions. I know that some will stand up and say "See - you stopped injecting and now it's worse."

But to them I will say I stopped injections only seven months ago, two months after I was prematurely retired from my classroom, following a full year of downward spiraling emotionally, cognitively, and physically. I believe the lesions worsened during that year. But since stopping those injections, I've rediscovered my self ... my self esteem, my self respect, and my determination and perseverance.

I'll see my MS neurologist next month, and share the Bethesda reports with her. She is a kind neurologist, as many are, and she will hear me patiently but we will agree to disagree, as we usually do.

My medical folders still say I have RRMS; my MRIs tell doctors that. My folders also say I have depression; my family history would corroborate that, as I've coped with many challenges in life. It was only in that difficult year that I stopped coping, and fell apart, and lost my classroom as a result. I could lament that, had I stopped the injections sooner, I may have kept my job for a few more years, but as is said, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

The nightly injections were a constant reminder that I felt like I was living a lie. I will never accept the label RRMS. And I will no longer pretend that I'm working toward acceptance. I will not take injections that I can't believe I need.

I tell my story in my book. Folks who've been here for the past five years have read it along with me, before it was consolidated, written and published.

I've been retired for one full year now, and labeled RRMS for five. But I know who I am ... I'm a member of the PD Risk Study group in Bethesda, and I'm a "normal control."
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

OK....
    I hope you're not just pitching your book.

Glad you are happy with where you are in life.

Some people like myself are very happy with using one of the DMD that are available.
    I didn't refuse to accept the diagnosis of MS. It was a relief to me. It explained so much.

I feel normal doing what I'm doing.
    Accepting my truth has helped.

Comment

I'm with Ed and I am NOT twisted.....

My formal RRMS dx was decades over due. For me it connected 50 years of dots and explained so much more than I had previously dreamed of being answered. Even the doc said to "you are not surprised, are you?" of course not after an alert new eye doc opened the MS can-o-worms that many other docs ignored despite complaints.

For me the RRMS Dx was a huge RELIEF!

As for nightly shots, heck I take insulin shots morning, noon and night, Rx calls for FIVE a/day in addition to Copaxone..and yes EVERY DAY

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot.

Comment

No, I'm not

Hello Ed and Gomer,

I'm sorry that my post came across as pitching my book ... that wasn't my intent.

I think there must be others here who have reason to doubt this diagnosis, and was reaching out to them.

I'm tired of pretending to agree.
        First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
        Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Comment

Hi chalknpens,

I know you have struggled with accepting your MS diagnosis and I am very happy you are in the "normal control" for the PD study.

I think there must be others here who have reason to doubt this diagnosis
          I know there have been those through the years who have doubted their MS diagnosis...I am not one of them. My 2nd exacerbation one year after diagnosis took any doubt I may have had. I do not and never have used a DMD and have no intention of ever using one.

Do what you feel is right for you, chalknpens. I wish you happiness and peace.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi chalknpens,

I remember you, and your "story" as you told it here over the years, and I didn't think you were just pitching your book.

I think I understand what you were trying to say, although I don't personally have a problem accepting my diagnosis and I didn't have a problem with taking my shots (I'm well into Secondary Progressive and DMD-free now).

I believe we all can learn from each other, those of us who shoot up every day and those of us who follow another route.

Comment

Working...
            X