People want to help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People want to help

After all these years of cracking hardy, I've stopped. And people are being genuinely lovely. Helpful, kind, etc.

It probably helps that I walk like a three-legged horse, but since swallowing my pride, and accepting help, life is so much easier.

Yesterday, a nice fellow got me a comfortable chair to sit on, instead of the usual back-breaking wooden bench. Didn't have to ask.

Day before, a lovely woman got me sandwiches, a cup of tea and a chair. Once (read last week) I would have said, "no, no, I'll be right."

Today, a man I'd never met carried my shopping across the road to my car, and a woman who is usually big on "you need to try to do more", carried the shopping in for me.

Either I look really, really bad or my new "yes, thank you so much for helping" policy is the way to go. Or possibly both.

Open eyesl

It's so great that you see the positive side of humanity when there is so much darkness in the world today. It's people like your compassionate helpers that so override the bad stuff in the world.

I have noticed that there is a polarizing effect in the world today - the evil get even eviler, (?) and those who do good are getting better and making this a better place to live.

I'm a "closeted" sociologist. I love to study people and group behaviour.

I am so happy that some of these gold nuggets found you.

Comment

What a wonderful lesson you are sharing~thanks!!

We cannot stop others' generosity. They are earning their way to Heaven~ LOL

Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I feel exactly the same way. Every time I leave my house people bend over backwards to help me every step of the way. By the time I get home I'm always in such a good mood. I never really knew how genuinely nice and helpful people are until I had MS.

I once said to my husband, "I must look a lot worse than I think I do." He said, "You do."

Comment

ms er since 06

You raise an interesting conundrum here.

Are people really being that nice, or am I really looking
          that bad?

Geez, I really have no idea....and it bothers me to
          have such cynicism. I've been saying to myself " I'm not
          the damsel in distress type, I'm just stubborn".

Guess I'm really thinking it's probably both. And maybe
          I really need to take another look in the mirror....the real
          one, not the figurative one.

My DD says the worst mirrors for a "reality check" are in the
          Target fitting rooms. Not sure if they tell no lies, or
          exaggerate the worst truths, lol. Some looking glasses
          don't get the best reputations in the literature.

me
          "I'm not limping!! I'm just favoring each leg differently!!"

Comment

A lesson here for those of us who still have mild symptoms is to help those people that we can, while we can, as was described here.

Comment

Just 2 days ago I was in Meijer's (like a walmart) and a man was on a store power cart but things just did not look right. He had on foot off the cart, on the floor and looked like maybe the cart died. I rode over to him on my scooter to see if I could help.

His foot had slipped off and he was unable to get it back on the cart due to a stroke. So I took one hand and lifted his leg, placing his foot back on the cart. He very grateful and appreciated the help.

Even us handicappers can be handy sometimes.......

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

It is hard to get over that hurdle of accepting help--blessings flow both ways. they feel good doing it and I have found people are very willing to help if you give them a indication of how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
                  Just 2 days ago I was in Meijer's (like a walmart) and a man was on a store power cart but things just did not look right. He had on foot off the cart, on the floor and looked like maybe the cart died. I rode over to him on my scooter to see if I could help.

His foot had slipped off and he was unable to get it back on the cart due to a stroke. So I took one hand and lifted his leg, placing his foot back on the cart. He very grateful and appreciated the help.

Even us handicappers can be handy sometimes.......

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot
                  Of course YOU would help another, while still on YOUR scooter!! Your observation helped this poor guy. All I can say, Gomer, is WHAT A GUY you are!! Hope others will help you as well~

Jan
                  I believe in miracles~!
                  2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                  Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

mjan...

I was glad I could help.

YES, there have been times others have helped me. It's not been easy to adapt to accepting help either. STUBBORN me.

I am still learning to accept help now and then....(strange?)

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Reach

I'm a new Dx and ambulatory. Whenever I see someone alone in one of those store carts, I take great interest now. I always ask if I can help them reach anything.

I have a relative in a wheelchair (not MS), and that seems like the biggest challenge to her with grocery shopping.

Comment

I remember the first time a lady helped me at the store parking lot. I got in my car and cried and cried. I was always the one to help. I was so sad abot losing that.

My good friend said my main problem is pride... I still hate to ask for help, but try to remember I'm robbing others of the joy of helping!

Sara

Comment

I'm still trying to swallow my pride.

I'm so willing to help others, even in my condition. But I have a lot of trouble accepting help.

Comment

I'm right with you!

Sara

Comment

I wouldn't accept help for a long time. Then someone explained to me that people WANT to help and it makes them feel good. I thought about that and realized that I was the one that was always helping others and it made me feel good!

So now when I'm out I just smile and say thank you. And I truly see their happiness. (It's also easier because when you say no thanks, I'm good, they insist and insist)!

And when you really think about it, it IS kind of icky to say no thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X