High blood platelets and MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High blood platelets and MS?

Is there a connection between elevated blood platelets and MS?

I just saw my labs for G screening. and my platelets are at 419(normal range 140-415) which is not too high but still elevated.have not discussed with neuro yet.

Everything else is normal. vt-d is a little low.
    Not too alarmed but I am interested to see what you all think.
    Any one?

Meissie

Not that I know of. They can change in response to infections. You should retest and see what happens. But definately get your vitaminD levels up. You can take 10k per day. Don't take D2, take D3 which you can get at a vitamin store.

Comment

Hi Meissie:
      There isn't a direct link between elevated platelets and MS. Your platelet count is only 1% above the upper figure in the reference range. Unless a patient has some sign or symptom that suggests a problem related to a particular test, doctors frequently don't consider a 1% variance to be significant. (My doc never mentions to me when one of my tests is a little bit out of range.) What's more significant is what your last platelet count was and how this one compares. And then you can compare it to the next one, which you should do after you start Gilenya.

What's more important to MS is your vitamin D level, because there's a strong association between the two. When you say your vitamin D level is "a little low," how low is a little? Do you mean 35 ng/ml or 20? Some research in MS has shown that the optimal minimum level is 50 ng/ml. (I keep mine at about 70.) That's an indication that you should supplement with vitamin D3 to increase your level to at least 50 and maintain it there.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
        Hi Meissie:
        There isn't a direct link between elevated platelets and MS. Your platelet count is only 1% above the upper figure in the reference range. Unless a patient has some sign or symptom that suggests a problem related to a particular test, doctors frequently don't consider a 1% variance to be significant. (My doc never mentions to me when one of my tests is a little bit out of range.) What's more significant is what your last platelet count was and how this one compares. And then you can compare it to the next one, which you should do after you start Gilenya.

What's more important to MS is your vitamin D level, because there's a strong association between the two. When you say your vitamin D level is "a little low," how low is a little? Do you mean 35 ng/ml or 20? Some research in MS has shown that the optimal minimum level is 50 ng/ml. (I keep mine at about 70.) That's an indication that you should supplement with vitamin D3 to increase your level to at least 50 and maintain it there.
        I know about the vit-d. I believe It was 29. It has been in the teens. It's my neglect and stupidity that has it this low (I own that) My neuro stresses the vit-d.

My question is. If it's such a strong link why do we need the DMD's? Why not just chuck those and just take the vit-d.

Are you saying we have Ms b/c our vit-d is low? If we get our levels up we will be fine and never have another episode?

I don't mean to rant at you. It's just that I have heard and read so many things about taking all these different vitamins and what they can do for MS all the way to someone taking all of these massive amounts of different vitamins and they went from not being able to walk to walking like these vitamins are a cure.

Sorry about the rant it's not YOU. It's just ne being fed up.
        I appreciate your comment.

Meissie

Comment

Working...
        X