driving getting dicey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driving getting dicey

First of all... I can see just fine. No optical problems. I do use glasses.

But, for the last few months my driving has felt... off. Kind of a weird feeling, but seeing ok.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I notice that I am extra weak and dizzy in the morning so maybe this has something to do with it. I am so afraid of losing my independence, although I can see it happening more every day. I only drive if I have to, which is to get back and forth to work (10 minute drive).

I'm not sure sure if this "weakness" is actually fatigue multiplied to exhaustion or if this is sensory stuff.

Thanks guys.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

For me it is all of the above. Concentrating makes me fatigued just the same as if I was doing something physical. All the things happening at once (sensory processing) makes me feel ovelwhelmed.

I do still drive but I limit it to a couple of times a month for appts. I haven't had any close calls at all, it's more me questioning my own abilities. And I don't want to have to have an accident to know that it's time to stop driving but like you I fear losing what little independence I have left. It's a tough call.
    I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

I am the same way. Right now, Cleveland Clinic messed up my prisms, so I am not going anywhere till I get my new glasses, but even then, I do not drive much..I get grandkids from after schoool care and once in awhile from school, but both are within 2 miles of my home. I need to start walking more and walk to after school care to get them. Less than 1 mile, so I am hopeful that I can get that far soon.

No one understands and they think I am fine but when I drive, I look right n front of the car like when you are learning to drive instead of further ahead of me. Even though all docs say I am fine, I have problems with periferial vision. If I make left turns by lights and then stay in curb lane, I am fine, but even then sometimes I cut turn short.

I do not wand to loose my independence either, but I want to keep myself and others safe. Last time I had granddaughter, I went off the road a little. Dh has been picking the kids up since then. I HATE it....and I want to say it saves me money cause I do not get to the mall as much, but there is on line shopping.

JudySz

Comment

I know what you mean.

I feel like I struggle to keep my concentration up and keep track of cars and people and the whole situation. It stresses me out.

Also the weakness makes my worry if I can keep my foot on the clutch when I need it. Often is is a strain. (I drive stick and things arent as smooth while shifting and such as they used to be)

I have beginning to wonder if I should be driving of late...

Curious to see what other have to say.

**Line spacing added by Moderator for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print.**
        *undiagnosed and just hangin' in there somehow*

Comment

Nothing is as smooth as it used to be!

I worry about driving as well since I have a numb/funny-feeling foot and am concerned about hitting the brakes in time. And the alertness needed to drive. Too much going on can confuse me.

So, I limit my driving. I won't drive in snow and avoid night driving as much as possible. I don't like heavy rain, either.

Gee, I should give it up all together. The only places I go alone are to dr appointments.

It's hard to give up that kind of independence, isn't it?

Comment

Thank you all for reminding me about concentration. Years ago I asked a question about concentration taking all our energy, but I had forgotten about that. If I have to really listen to someone telling me something it completely tires me and I end up missing most of the story. It also kind of makes me anxious to have to concentrate on the person in front of me. I know I won't remember what they said and it scares me.

My driving issue seems to revolve around a visual fatigue. I don't know what else to call it. Can't really explain it. My eyes just feel... tired... off... not focused (not blurry)... just ... distracted.
            Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I was just thinking about this today, on an exciting errand to the grocery store, when I realized a few minutes in that I was much more fatigued than I'd decided I was....

I try to avoid driving on the freeway, or drives where there isn't an option of pulling over if I notice that I need a break. I still often get exhausted, but I can manage it.

I should probably drive less, but since I can't walk very far or ride a bike, and since the local bus is too far for me to get on a bad day, I have been holding on to driving.

On a good day, it's not much of a problem. I'm exhausted if I drive very far, or in bad weather, but I can manage. If my eyes are wonky, or if I'm having a flare-up, not so good.

One good thing about my years of bike riding before my balance got bad is that I'm used to paying attention to what all of my muscles are doing. So when I was driving and realized that the numbness in my right foot had extended to the middle of the foot, I just paid attention to how the muscles in my hips and thigh were doing and kept my eye on the speedometer.
              Accepting reality is not the same as wanting to have a problem. It means accepting something that will be happening whether I want it or not.

Comment

I've dealt with it a few times and it seems to happen when I'm really fatigued. For me, it's usually in the afternoon and after a quick nap I can readjust myself but I agree with someone who mentioned visual fatigue, just a hard time focusing while driving.

It's good that you don't drive too far. Listening to music or talking to others in the car would usually help keep me focused besides the fact that I always seem to have a backseat driver with me, ha, ha
                Perhaps keeping your eyes cool would help, nice cold towel over your eyes before hitting the road. Good luck and be careful.

Comment

Me again. I told dh last week., we could sell my car. He luckily said we are keeping it,so at least I can get out when I feel good. Dd is happy too cause I can still get the kids from after school care. It would save us some $$, but as dh says, our credit has gotten bad and when this car is paid for, he will be needing a new car, so we will not have to buy one, he can just take over mine. Heaven knows, miles will still be really low....Probably the best idea, that way by the time this happens, I will be really ready to stop driving.

JudySz

Comment

driving getting to dicey

I am also going through the same symptoms and often times I feel like my eyes are on fire or hot. My boyfriend says that my eyes look very strange when it is going on. I have been in two auto accidents due to this very issue b/c usually when it starts it ends with blurred vision.

I am currently fighting the jumping legs. When I apply pressure to the gas or breaking my leg and foot will began to jump around and if I try to use my left foot it will begin to do it as well. It is so very scary.

Mystery37

Comment

Working...
                    X