What Makes a New Episode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Makes a New Episode?

I was diagnosed on Feb 29. I have been experiencing a sharp increase in my symptoms this week. Since recovering from my initial episode, my only complaint has fatigue. I started taking 75mg of Nuvigil and increased my Betaseron to .75. After a week of the most normal life I've enjoyed since my diagnosis in Feb, I went to bed with cramps in my foot, spread up my leg. By the next morning, I was having muscle contractions in both shoulders. By afternoon my right leg was in pain from my hip to my foot. I took that as "goes with MS." I called the doctor's office and didn't get the usual same day return call. I called a Betanurse and she said stiff muscles, muscle pain are side effects of Betaseron. The doctor's practicioner called me the next day and told me it was probably the Betaseron and I should cut back to .5 until my appointment with her next week.

I called the doctor the next day because the pain was bad. I told him the nurse and the nurse practitioner said it was the Betaseron. He said it was MS. He called in Baclofen.

The next day I had to leave work early because of the pain. I got dizzy that night and I had trouble transitioning vision from up close to far away and back. It was SO similar to my initial episode that I did get kinda scared. I called my doc's service for the doc on call to call me.

Lucky me, my doctor was on call that night. I told him about the dizziness and the vision problems, and I asked, "What makes MS problems an episode?"
    My doctor said, "We don't treat dizziness with steroids."

That didn't answer my question. He told me to call the office the next day and talk to his nurse practitioner and have her call me in medicine.

I'm calling a new doctor on Monday. I've talked to Betanurses about my most pressing questions, but they leave diagnosis to the doctor, so I still haven't had my BIG question answered.

I've started itching randomly and today my legs feel like I'm walking through a few feet of water. From your experiences, when do annoying MS symptoms that we live with become flareups?
Working...
X