Flare or Exacerbation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flare or Exacerbation?

The past week or so, I've been having some sx that seem to be familiar. Last spring around this time (pre dx), I now recall having had some of these and more.

Over the last week, I've had some blurred vision, primarily in my left eye. It seems to come on in the afternoon/evening (is happening now). I blink a bit to get it to clear or rub my eyes and then it still comes back. I've also noted a couple of times already when I've either dropped or almost dropped something and had that 'aha' questioning of "why did I drop/almost drop that?"

And, I've noticed that I'm having more moments lately when I can't remember names of people I work with, names of kids that I work with, or details at work. I work as a school counselor so this really bothers and concerns me. This sx has come and gone over the last 8 or 9 years. When I first noticed it, about 9 years ago, I went to my doctor who dismissed it as possibly related to aging/pre-menopause, but I've never felt that was correct.

Thinking back, last spring I had similar symptoms including one incident of foot drop that I can specifically remember and times sitting in the recliner in the evenings when my legs would pulse and feel a bit numb, though I'm not having those issues at the moment.

The event that led to my dx was numbness on the right side of my face that spread to my rt arm and leg and lasted a week at the end of June. An MRI and spinal tap in the midst of that event, confirmed CIS/RRMS. I started Copaxone five weeks ago.

The sx that I'm now having, are these anything I should be concerned about? Are they more of a flare or an exaserbation? Should I be calling my neuro about them?

"Flare" and "exacerbation" are two words that mean the same thing. I think the distinction you're trying to make is between "exacerbation" and "pseudoexacerbation." Here's an article by the NMSS that may help clarify matters:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx

I'd suggest you call your neuro's office and ask if you should come in.

Comment

I have similar every spring. I think it's always good to report anything new or expanded to your Neuro so that it's on record.

So here it is:

1) Exacerbation, Flair - same thing. Poor us that we live with such poor nomenclature.

2) What you're wondering is whether it's new damage... Maybe, probably, though not necessarily.

3) What to do??? That's where it becomes worthwhile to ask your doc. Has it been long since your last MRI and a good idea to do one now? Is your DMD still working, etc?

I would definately discuss with the doc. Also, in the meanwhile, rest a lot.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Comment

Sequoia, you're right. I meant is this a possible pseudoexaserbation or exaserbation/flare? I'm still trying to figure out the difference between the two and wondering if, like last year, this may be a warning sign of a flare to come.

I have an appt with my neuro scheduled for mid-June and will be having another MRI sometime around the beginning of June. My last MRI was in October; first was at the end of last June. There was no change in those two MRIs...had five brain lesions, two that were measurable at 4 and 6 mm respectively. I'm 49 if that makes any difference, so a later onset of MS from what I understand.

Comment

Working...
        X