Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boooo MS. Is brand new spasticity a flare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boooo MS. Is brand new spasticity a flare?

Heading to the Neuro's office tomorrow, but figured I'd ask around first. The past 3-4 days my leg/foot muscles have been chaotically contracting on their own, almost constantly. By time I get into bed my leg is just burning and exhausted. I can walk fine, although it feels easier for me to walk if I just flex my entire leg and not bend my knee or ankle.

I'm starting to get myself all worked up about having a lumbar lesion now, and ending up with PPMS. At this rate... this rate just isn't good. I'm only 28 and this is possibly a third flare in 9 months.

Or could this just be one of those "comes with MS" things and they can just give me some of those spasicity meds? Or does it even sound like actual spascitiy??? Glad I'm seeing the PA tomorrow.
    Diagnosed Aug. 2011 - Currently on Tysabri

Originally posted by saywhat View Post
    The past 3-4 days my leg/foot muscles have been chaotically contracting on their own, almost constantly. [...]

I'm starting to get myself all worked up about having a lumbar lesion now, and ending up with PPMS.
    That sounds like spasticity to me, but I have pretty limited experience with it.

That doesn't necessarily mean you have new lesions. Do you already have MRI evidence of spinal lesions? A c-spine lesion could just as easily cause the same sx.
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Spasticity doesn't have to be from a sc lesion, it can originate from the brain.

ir's a pretty common symptom, not fun to deal with but the mess do help. It seems to be one of those hang around symptoms...somedays are better than others.

As fas as PPMS, I have significant spasticity, even have a pmp tp deal with it, and I'm still classified RRMS.

Be careful walking the way you described, sometimes you can hyperextended your knee doing that. definitely speak to your neuro, and if he determines it's spasticity, he'll give you a med to try.

Hope it eases up for you.

Comment

Went to the office today, she was pretty convinced that it is a flare as well as nerve pain. Starting Gabapentin and Baclofen and 2 days of SoluMedrol. I was glad that I went in.

I do have a C2 lesion which has left me with right arm/hand weakness. It has never given me leg symptoms though. Either way, she said it definitely sounds like breakthrough disease. I'm really starting to worry about PPMS. Ah well. GOOD news is that I'm JC virus NEGATIVE!!

Comment

I'm really starting to worry about PPMS.
          Don't worry about PPMS. If you are having relapses, or ever had them, you don't have PPMS.

PPMS is characterized by steady progression from the onset w/o either remissions (periods in which there is no inflammatory disease activity, may or may not relate to sx or progression) or distinct relapses (periods of inflammatory disease activity).

Sorry about the relapse, but if you're worried about PPMS, it's another piece of good news in a way. Hope the new meds help with the new sx.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...-ms/index.aspx

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...-ms/index.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by MrsBones View Post
            Don't worry about PPMS. If you are having relapses, or ever had them, you don't have PPMS.

PPMS is characterized by steady progression from the onset w/o either remissions (periods in which there is no inflammatory disease activity, may or may not relate to sx or progression) or distinct relapses (periods of inflammatory disease activity).

Sorry about the relapse, but if you're worried about PPMS, it's another piece of good news in a way. Hope the new meds help with the new sx.

Well that IS good news! Thanks!!

Comment

Well that IS good news! Thanks!!
              You're welcome. There is a great deal of fear (and often quite a few misconceptions) about progressive types of MS. Lots of folks become nervous when they don't return to "normal" after a relapse or never seem to be sx free and come to believe they might have PPMS.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsBones View Post
                Lots of folks become nervous when they don't return to "normal" after a relapse or never seem to be sx free and come to believe they might have PPMS.
                That's me, in spades! Only I would say "freaked out," not just nervous.

I knew PPMS wasn't too common, but the fact that my sx only spread/increased for the first year and a half from my exacerbation had me convinced I must have PPMS. Fortunately, the MRIs have yet to agree. It doesn't feel like it to me, but in terms of lesions I've been in the remitting stage since the the end of 2009.
                1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Working...
                X