MORBID - maybe but for hope.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MORBID - maybe but for hope.

I am in remission now and healthy so to speak. I have RRMS.

There are a lot of athletes donating their brains, at their death, medical research to study concussions.

This got me to thinking. There must be somplace doing brain research on MS. Perhaps other's might be interested or we could start something like a link or a channel.

I have a Living Will etc. but I would like to add an addendum or clause that if something tragic, like a fatal car wreck or accicdent, I would like to donate my brain to MS. research. I need to add this information to my Living Will documents.

Is there anyone out there who has contact information, or can give me a direction?
    Dave Tampa, Florida

P.S. for those of you who are wondering I am not suicidal !!! Just want to give something back to all those who are suffering, like I often do, and expecially those who have loved and helped me.
    Dave again.

Whole Body Donation

In Florida whole body donations are overseen by the Anatomical Board of the State of Florida. You can get all the information you need at http://www.med.ufl.edu/anatbd/INDEX.html

I don't know if you can specify that your parts go for a particular type of research. Most likely it is wherever the need is greatest at the time of the donation.

I did not find your inquiry at all morbid. Instead I found it to be thoughtful and important. I hope you find the information you are seeking.

Comment

IOWA whole body donation

Hi Sparky,

If you are interested in whole body donation in Iowa here is the contact info for the places in your state that are involved with that procedure.

The University of Osteopathic Medicine
      Health Science Anatomy Division

3200 Grand
      Des Moines, IA 50312

University of Iowa
      College of Medicine

Department of Anatomy
      1-470 Basic Science Building
      Iowa City, IA 52242

**Phone numbers removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld guidelines. They can be found on the website or in the phone book.**

Comment

For anyone in Ontario, Canada... it's part of renewing your Provincial Health Card; they ask you at that time and if you choose to donate, it's actually printed on the health card.
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Not morbid at all! I am totally in tune with donating my inanimate self to science. What the ************ am I gonna do with it after I'm gone?
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Told the NP at the local neuro's office that I wanted to donate my brain for study. That way, if they never figure it out while I'm alive, they will after I'm gone. I also told her no fair killing me off before my time just to find out, though.
            It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

J-man Dave.......

Your topic is reasonable, rational, and NOT morbid.

Glad to see your trons upstairs are working well.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I would like to be kryvacced right now and thawed out when your generous donation yields some results. Now if I can just find a big enough bag...

Comment

information

Just to let you know. It is a much easier process if you set this up with where ever you are going to donate it before the time of death. Including transportation to the place that you are donating it too. With it payed ahead of time. Almost any universtiy hospital will take.

Please also remember organ donation too. Many retinas can be taken even if nothing else. So, please help someond needs eyesite for someone else.
                  God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

THINKIMJOB

I totally agree. There surely have been those times for me too. I love people who seek ideas from outside of the box. I tend to be that way as do acrylic - multi-media painting. So far I only have two people other than myself who appreciate my work.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
                      I totally agree. There surely have been those times for me too. I love people who seek ideas from outside of the box. I tend to be that way as do acrylic - multi-media painting. So far I only have two people other than myself who appreciate my work.

Dave
                      Since you're in Tampa, maybe you could contact the USF MS Center (Dr. Krolcyzk heads the program I believe) and USF has a medical school as well...maybe they know of such a program.

I have read reports of autopsy of folks with MS who died suddenly, the purpose being to determine if the MS was a contributing factor in their death. So there is an interest, it would seem, in studying the brains of those with MS, post mortem.

Comment

Attention, Dave!

Dave, we may be onto something.

How about a multi-media (me, kryvac, and a freezer with a glass door) art installation? Kind of like Damien Hirst's shark in a tank, but with the human touch.

(I know he's had to replace the shark from time to time when it goes a bit too green, but he's probably never heard of the wonders of kryvac and doesn't know what he's missing.)

Call it "Only your donation will defrost her".
                        Sell the art, put me on display - that would cover the cost of keeping me frozen. Have a website - online donations for MS. Webcam, 'live' updates etc.

Of course, there is the tiny problem of, um, air and being more or less dead.

Mind you, sometimes I think they'll cure death before they cure MS.

Comment

RDMC----duh for me!

Dr. Krolczyk is my Neuro and I have to go to the USF Med. to see him. (Outstanding Doc by the way). I did not know that he was invovled in research though. Duhhhh.

Thanks for the head's up. I had completely overlooked that possibility. I guess besides my sypmptoms and his bright and positive attitude I forget or up until the last week or so hadn't thought about this "dead brain" aspect. Its just with what has been going on with sports and concussions research that it came to me.

Thanks again. I will be seeing him soon to discuss my last MRI.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by journeyman View Post
                            Dr. Krolczyk is my Neuro and I have to go to the USF Med. to see him. (Outstanding Doc by the way). I did not know that he was invovled in research though. Duhhhh.

Thanks for the head's up. I had completely overlooked that possibility. I guess besides my sypmptoms and his bright and positive attitude I forget or up until the last week or so hadn't thought about this "dead brain" aspect. Its just with what has been going on with sports and concussions research that it came to me.

Thanks again. I will be seeing him soon to discuss my last MRI.

Dave
                            Yep, he's a smart guy. I've recently transferred over to him too. (I'm not in Tampa, but it's worth the drive...didn't like the 6 month waiting time for a new patient though, LOL.)

He figured out a medication solution to a problem I was having that my local neuro and GP hadn't been successful with.

I'm not sure he's actively involved in research, but if he isn't, bet he knows someone who is.

Comment

The other place to try is Dr. Cascione in Tampa--they do research. Is that the MS Center of SW Fla? Something like that.
                              My dad died of a rare disease--calciphylaxis--and too little is known about it. I offered up his brain--no one wanted it. Of course, we weren't in a research facility either...

Comment

Working...
                              X