MRI & Headaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MRI & Headaches

Just wandering if anyone else got any headaches from a brain MRI.
    I had the MRI on Sunday and have been having bad headaches ever since.
    I dont normally suffer from them and can only put it down to the MRI or maybe stressing about the results, although when I stress my hair normally falls outoh the joys of being me

Cheers
    Kathy
    2004 pos/MS 2006 Pos/MS also Pos/Crazy 14/01/2012 here we go againDx RRMS 21/06/2012

I've never gotten a "headache" headache, but I sure have gotten tension headaches from the back of my neck forward to my eyes. I figure it has something to do with tensing up and with the awkward positioning in the tube. Most of us are used to lying down with some sort of neck support...in the MRI, your neck has no support...just flat down on that slab... so that has to mess with those muscles.

That's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it

Comment

Well, the position probably has a lot to do with it, certainly, but as far as protracted headache issues go, I wouldn't say that an MRI scan was the cause. Anyway, if you're the sort whose hair falls out from stress, I'd probably look more in that direction.

rex

Comment

i think my first one gave me a headache. but that was over 8 1/2 years ago, so my memory may be wrong. it could have been my mom that was in the room with me that got a headache. 30+ MRIs later, i find that i can doze off in them. dont ask how. i just do.

i guess i find the loud noises of the MRI relaxing. lol
        Learn from yesterday
        Live for today
        Hope for tomorrow

Comment

I had a headache that started right after they administered the contrast while still doing my MRI last week that lasted for a constant 3 days. My dr said she thinks mine was a side effect from the contrast and they will use a different kind next time. However she did say that a lot of people do get headaches while doing the MRI due to the positioning.

Comment

How about loud whacking noise for 45 minutes in a small enclosed area contributing to a headache? And how about taking Tylenol before your MRI?

Comment

I've never had a headache in 20+ head MRIs and another half dozen or so of my back.

Once I made the mistake of letting them start when one of my earplugs wasn't fully in place, but even that was just loud...
              1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
              NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone You would think that being stuck in a tube with a wacking loud noise would do it, but I didnt find it very loud at all, I had the head phones on and they played the carpenters for me

I will put it down to stress, it was a very stressful day. I have driven there a number of times and left with plenty of time to spare so I wouldnt have to rush and wouldnt be late.
                But while driving I had one of my "moments" where I forget where the hell I am where Im going and how to get there...result...I got lost, got late, missed my appointment. I turned up there eventually but only to reschedule my appointment.
                But she said she could fit me in for the brain scan but not the spinal, so had the brain done and rebooked the spinal.

Now I am left with the dilemma of whether to cancel my follow up appointment with neuro to go over the result till after my spinal is done or do I go and discuss my brain MRI with him and make another appointment for after the spinal
                It is getting clearer where that headache came from

Cheers
                Kathy
                2004 pos/MS 2006 Pos/MS also Pos/Crazy 14/01/2012 here we go againDx RRMS 21/06/2012

Comment

You might try drinking a lot after the MRI to flush out the gadolinium.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Sheila, but I did not have the contrast, will remeber that for next time
                    Cheers
                    Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by wally8 View Post
                      Now I am left with the dilemma of whether to cancel my follow up appointment with neuro to go over the result till after my spinal is done or do I go and discuss my brain MRI with him and make another appointment for after the spinal
                      I would call the neuro's office and ask, but it seems like it would make more sense to wait until you've got both scans...
                      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Yes, I get bad headaches and feel woozy afterwards. I have a dozen platinum coils in my brain. I'm assured that has nothing to do with it.
                        I believe them.
                        So, I put it done to noise, stress, claustrophobia and lying flat and motionless on a hard "bed" for an hour or so.

Comment

I would call the neuro's office and ask, but it seems like it would make more sense to wait until you've got both scans...
                          Was thinking the same thing, i was only worried that if i cancel this appointment it will take months to get back in, but I rang and now have another appointment 3 days after spinal MRI
                          Going to my GP today because she wants to discuss the results of my brain MRI, so at least I'll know whats going on.
                          Cheers
                          Kathy

Comment

"Well played" as the kids say...
                            NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Working...
                            X