MS Vacay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Vacay

I was recently dx...long after 13 members of my family had paid for our first cruise. I was petrified that I would ruin everyones vacay because of the heat, or my inability to keep up, or any number of things.
    I WAS WRONG! Cruise ships are fabulous places to rest and relax. There are any number of activities going on at all times indoors in air conditioning. If you're more adventuresome, you can sign up for land excursions where you're always near water and cold drinks. If you do have a bad day, you can hang out in your cabin while the rest of your group continues with their plans.
    The staff is always near and will bend over backwards to make sure you are comfortable and happy.
    We have booked our next cruise, MS or no MS!
    Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
    Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. They are fabulous!

My almost-ex-husband and I went on a cruise a few years ago, and I loved it. It was awesome! I wish I could afford to go on more of them, but at least I have that one to remember.
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I'm just waiting for my youngest to be toilet trained, then I am totally planning a cruise. I loved the Alaska cruise I went on (beautiful, and never got too hot), but that was kind of pricey, mainly airfaire since I live in Michigan.

Comment

When I saw the thread title, I thought you were going to tell us how to take a vacation from MS! I'd love that, in fact I would really like to retire from MS and go back to being a healthy person. Oh well.

But you are right, a cruise vacation can be great for MSer's. There is a wide variety of activities, and you can rest in the AC if needed while everybody else does whatever they want to. You don't ruin it for all if you need to stay inside, and if you are having a good day and can go out on an excursion - even better!

I never thought i would like cruising, until I took a cruise to Alaska with my family. It was wonderful. We have done several since then, and in fact I have another one this summer from Amsterdam to Barcelona. My husband says he doesn't want to fly all the way to Europe (!!) so I will go by myself or with a friend. I do not mind flying "all the way to Europe."

It is a charter cruise with Garrison Keillor and his Prairie Home Companion radio show group. If it is too hot, or I am too tired, I can just stay inside and listen to music all day. And all night.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyairfare View Post
          When I saw the thread title, I thought you were going to tell us how to take a vacation from MS! I'd love that, in fact I would really like to retire from MS and go back to being a healthy person. Oh well.
          LOL - me too!!

How wonderful that you all go on cruises!! I'd just love to be able to "cruise" on the ground with stable feet w/o a cane or walker!

I'm traveling to Iowa this summer to visit my elderly parents and probably staying inside with the AC on!! I'm flying with friend/helper using travel miles. Onlyairfare, have fun on your cruise!! Garrison Keillor? What a hoot
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

You are so right about cruising. I have taken 4 since I got my dx in 1996 and I hope to take #5 later this fall. We started cruising when the kids were small (I think the youngest was 3 at the time) and everyone had a great time.

We have done the Florida theme parks and while the kids love them for me it was extremely draining. There were times when I had to stay back and send them on with dad. For me cruising is so much more relaxing, no crowds, less walking or extreme heat of theme parks.

Comment

Love Cruising, but stressing over now with MS

I am 30 days from leaving on a Northern European cruise for 9 nights, + 1 night pre and post cruise. I was so excited, everything is planned and I felt prepared, but then this flare started 3 weeks ago with severe vertigo and dizziness, I just started driving, but still walking with a walker except around my house. Thankfully, the dizziness is finally getting better, as the thought of sea legs on top of my already drunk sailor walk would be a challenge to say the least!

Glad to hear that cruising is accomodating to us MS'ers!! I contacted the ship last week to order a shower stool to sit on, no problem, they have a whole "access dept"!!

I got my doc to give me a couple of emergency scripts for oral steroids and seasickness patch just in case, tho I don't get sea sick on cruises, but vertigo is another matter.

Thanks for posting! P.S. my DH won't fly to Europe either, so I always go with my mom and girlfriend, it's cheaper too to split 3 ways!

The worst day on a cruise has to better than the best day at home/work!! Cruise on!
              Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
              Ampyra 10mg 2xday
              Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

oh....jbell, I had to respond.

I LIVE with vertigo and nausea on a daily basis. My doc gave me rx's for the patch (trans derm Scopalomine) and an anti-nausea pill that melts under your tongue (Zofran). He told me to put the patch on at least 24 hrs before boarding and use the other if needed. I only "needed" the Zofran one night when the Captain apparently put the pedal to the metal! Also, it seemed to me that 50% of the women on the ship were wearing the same MS earring as me!

I hope your cruise is as much fun as mine was. And please, oh please, let me know if you and your shower seat both fit in the shower at the same time...lol

Comment

I just got back from my first every cruise and I had a fantastic time! I swear my balance issues were cured by the subtle rocking of the ship - I haven't felt that steady on my feet in months! I'm thinking that the permanent cure for my "drunken walking" is living on a cruise ship. Planning the next one already!! I was also afraid that I would ruin the vacation of my fellow travelers, however, I found I had more energy than most of them. Now it's time to start saving for Panama Canal cruise in 2012 - it is amazing what a vacation can do for my psyche
                  Julie
                  DX 11/9/11
                  Rebif Therapy 12/13/11

Comment

Im so excited to hear a positive report from a fellow MSer about cruises! Im giong on my first one at the end of May an cannot wait!!

Good idea on bringing steroids along, I will have to email my neuro about that.

Comment

Cruises are the way to go! No packing and unpacking for different places and great service.

When you book your room, check with your travel agent for a handicapped accessible room if you have mobility problems. There are very few, and on the internet they may show as unavailable, when a travel agent can access them. The floor from the room to the bathroom is flat, instead of a step up, and there is a roll in shower. The room will be bigger than others of the same price category.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeaura View Post
                        I hope your cruise is as much fun as mine was. And please, oh please, let me know if you and your shower seat both fit in the shower at the same time...lol
                        Leeaura - LOL - Since we split the cost 3 ways, we were able to upgrade to the 'Penthouse Suite' which has a separate shower and a soaking tub! Oh, and a butler who will unpack for us!! We'll be on the balcony sipping champagne while he unpacks our bags...
                        Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                        Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Ohhhhh, I wanna go on a cruise.

I was looking at Royal Carribean today, and then I saw this thread!
                          Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeaura View Post

Back from my 9 night cruise last week and wanted to respond...I never needed ANY of my emergency drugs!

I also did not get "sea legs" which is very unusual for me, so maybe the rocking of the ship straightened me out??

And no, the shower stool and me did not fit in together! We put the stool out on the balcony and used it as a foot rest.

No more NCL for me, going back to RCCL! The cabin barely fit the 3 of us and my walker...too much furniture. Very disappointed at that. Next time will get a handicapped balcony room as they seemed bigger than our "penthouse suite".
                            Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                            Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

knell, I've been wondering about you and your cruise. Glad you were well. Hate it that you were disappointed in your cabin. We will definitely have a balcony next time. That sounds heavenly! We were cruising on RC but were docked next to NCL a couple of times. They looked like they were having too much fun. While we were making our way back to the ship at the end of the day, the upper deck of the NCL ship was packed w people dancing to Jamaican music. Ya mon!

"excuse me mom, I'm heading for the shower. Could you please remove your feet from my shower stool"? Lol

P.S. haven't checked into this but I've been told that NCL is most expensive, then RCCL, and CCL is cheapest....

God bless vacays and the loved ones willing to go w us!

Comment

Working...
                              X