Kingrex-Why do techs ask symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kingrex-Why do techs ask symptoms?

I had an MRI today. The doctor's order specifically said it was to rule out Multiple Sclerosis. Why do the techs ask what my symptoms are even though they already know what the doctor's orders are? I told her some of my symptoms: dysphagia, dysarthria, irregular heartbeat, paresthesias. She seemed put off by my technical terms and I don't think she even wrote anything down. I don't get it.

Mine always ask too, and what I say (roughly) shows on the report as what symptoms I am experiencing. But yeah, you'd think what the doctor is reporting as the reason for the scan would show too. Maybe it does elsewhere? I have to believe the radiologist gets that data. Hmmm.

Comment

Kingrex will probably be along shortly to answer but I'll offer my opinion: They ask symptoms in case there is an indication for a different view, or to make sure that they get good views of the area in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiela View Post
        I had an MRI today. The doctor's order specifically said it was to rule out Multiple Sclerosis. Why do the techs ask what my symptoms are even though they already know what the doctor's orders are? I told her some of my symptoms: dysphagia, dysarthria, irregular heartbeat, paresthesias. She seemed put off by my technical terms and I don't think she even wrote anything down. I don't get it.
        Overall, technologists try to get as much clinical information as possible because that's what they're instructed to do. "R/O MS" is a request to rule-out or confirm an MS diagnosis; it says nothing of the patient's symptoms. Clinicians used to provide a lot more information about their patients' symptoms than they do today, so it's up to the technologist to get that information for the person tasked with interpreting the scan - the radiologist.

If we were to obtain no clinical information from possible MS patients, it would in many cases be more difficult for the radiologist to make a judgment, based upon what is seen on the scan. Most initial diagnoses are suppositions by the clinician; there are always differential diagnoses, too - other (but usually less likely, in the eyes of the clinician) possible conditions which might be the cause of the symptoms. But if the radiologist isn't aware of your symptoms, how can he or she rule out the differentials? Should we just assume that it's MS because we see a few bright spots on a T2-weighted sequence? Wouldn't a full history better enable us to rule out, say, vascular disease?

So it's to your benefit to give the information to the technologist. As for what you took for being "put off" by your use of medical terminology, it's possible that the technologist wasn't sure what dysphasia and dysarthria are - some are new and unfamiliar with more esoteric terminology. School just isn't what it used to be . But anyway, it's usually better to describe your symptoms, rather than spitting out generic terminology...how long you've had problems comprehending speech or forming words, if it was gradual or a sudden onset (which goes directly to the question of stroke vs. demyelination), etc.

I hope this answers your question.

rex

Comment

Perfectly Rex. Thank you very much. Now I see the advantage to both of us in terms of views and differential diagnosis.

The terminology, to me, is very descriptive but your explanation makes a lot of sense. I will adjust and am sure it will go smoother next time.

Comment

Working...
          X