Loss of taste buds??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of taste buds??

I just finished 6 days of solu medrol infusions on Saturday and doing the prednisole taper now for 3 days...but now I've noticed I have hardly any taste!??

Is this common, normal, or just a fluke?? Thanks!
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

Hi jbell:
    Loss of taste is a very common side effect of high-dose Solu-Medrol. It should resolve within a week or so.

It happens to me every time. I did a Solu-Medrol 3-day right before Thanksgiving last year. Of course, my Thanksgiving meal tasted like cardboard. I might as well have ordered a pizza and eaten the box instead. I did a 4-day a month ago, and that time it took about 2 weeks before my taste came back fully. So hang in there -- your taste will come back.

Comment

jbell,

I don't remember if this happened after a round of roids, but I lost my sensation of taste. This was ~2 yrs ago. BUT this is just MY issue....yours COULD be from the high dose roids and may VERY WELL come back. Make sure you are WELL HYDRATED, as your saliva GREATLY assists in tasting. Keep us posted!
      Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

This happens to me every time Im on steroids. At least if the buds go dead I dont taste that aweful tinny taste!!

Comment

thank goodness!

Thank you for confirming! Of course the lack of taste hasn't stopped me from wanting to eat anything and everything that isn't nailed down in the house....

I only had the solu once before in Dec (3 days) and didn't notice the loss of taste, so kind of freaked me out.

Now if I could just figure out what is causing weird joint pain in my knees...ugh ugh ugh.
          Ampyra 10mg 2xday
          Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

JBell, you are having such a rough flare already and now the taste buds! It's normal but such irony... the steroids GREATLY increase the appetite but everything tastes like cardboard.

There's nothing like gaining weight by eating food with no flavour! I hope this doesn't last long for you, I can't stand anything that comes between me and my food.

Jen
            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I'm with you CatMom!

I am eating everything, but nothing tastes good, keeping the Tic-Tac company in business though.

I love to cook and try different foods, but blah, nothing tastes like anything right now. Glad it is temporary.

And just shoot me now on the weight....everytime I start doing good, I get shot down and just give it up.

I just hope this dizziness lifts soon and is not permanent... I feel so disabled having to use a walker when out of the house, which hasn't been much lately.
              Ampyra 10mg 2xday
              Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Jbell , I realized on my third bite I was actually eating a tomato not the plum I thought I had. And that was from texture not taste.

Comment

Working...
                X