Receiving Disability Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receiving Disability Benefits

Hi! I have had MS since I was 18 and I am now 49. The MS held its own until about a year ago. I cannot longer work. I also recently had neck surgery.

I live in NC and have been trying to receive disability benefits and have been turned down by the state and two different lawyers because of a glitch or loophole in the system.

I have worked since 1979 and paid into disability. A few years ago I worked for the government for 6 1/2 years. Because government employees do not pay into SSI, I was told that I cannot receive benefits. I even wrote to my local congressman for help, but got nothing in the way of help.

Can anyone help me with this problem? Do you know of any lawyers or other government agencies that I can write to for help?

I really need help because I live on $12,000/year (alimony from my ex husband) and am indigent. I don't reveive any other benefits from the state because I 'make too much money' according to them.

Please, if anyone can help or provide any other avenues to receive disability benefits I would be extremely grateful. You can post here or e mail me at ** Email address removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**. Thank you!

Leissa

{{{{ LESISSA }}}}

I am so sorry you are in this mess. I know its hard. I do. I just lost 1/2 of my pathetic income due to LTD benefit being cut. I am appealing.

Now, as far as SSDI. I thought you had to be putting soc sec from you check into the system in last 10 years. Not sure though. Have you checked on this site. There is a section for questions on Soc Security.

Could you share a place with someone? Any family help or ability to move in with?

Again, its horrible. I agree. Hope you find a solution.

Warmly, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Disability

Thank you for the reply Jan. The system is so screwed up (in many ways). I have been seeking a roommate and hope to have one soon. But can't we (with MS) get any help? It is implorable how the government works in many ways. I know people that have diabetes or are bipolar (which I also suffer from) or just have too many children that get a lot of help. I noticed that there is a lawyer on this site and I'm going to write to him next. This is so unfair! Thank you again for responding. I have had MS for many years and if I can help you or answer any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Leissa

Comment

What part of nc I live near hickory, and I have heard our system really sucks takes people close to 3 yrs to get on ssdi
        Anita

Comment

Yes hope you get your answers. But I was sure I heard that you had to have paid into the system to get your benefit. There are formulas. So make sure you ask if that is a fact (or not).

Good luck.. glad you are getting a roommate..

Best to you~ Jan
          I believe in miracles~!

Comment

Lawyer on this site

Hi Jan!

I noticed somewhere on this site that there is a lawyer that posts but I cannot find him anymore. Do you happen to know his name/username? Thanks!

Leissa

Comment

What part of nc I live near hickory, and I have heard our system really sucks takes people close to 3 yrs to get on ssdi
              anitalhersman- I live just outside of Mooresville, I was approved for SSDI in less than 3 months on first try w/o attorney, no lawyer would take my case until I had been turned down at least 1 time.
              Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post
                anitalhersman- I live just outside of Mooresville, I was approved for SSDI in less than 3 months on first try w/o attorney, no lawyer would take my case until I had been turned down at least 1 time.
                Wow scooter I'd like to know how you did that!

Meissie

Comment

Did it all on line , never went to thier office, they did all requesting of med records after I signed thier release form never had any SS exams, I made sure my dr's were in full agreement with me going on disability and annotated it in my records. I was on STD and applied near the end of it as they told me that I wasn't going to get LTD.

Comment

Yes Scooter's experience sounds similar to mine. About 3 months, was on short term disability from my job but it went to LTD right away. I did not have to ask for it.

No lawyer either, phone interview with SS dept, but LTD uses Allsup and they are known for getting SSDI in less than 4 months.

Scooter...wonder why you didn't get LTD?
                    I believe in miracles~!

Comment

I was on STD for cancer treatment, but in very bad shape from radiation. I neber even mentioned MS to them .

Comment

Just to clarify, I applied for SSDI based on my MS , never mentioned the cancer as I was clear of that, I believe that my oncoligist or radiologist records were never even requested. I do know they requested my GP and nuero records.

I may just be good at filling out this type of thing as I was approved quickly for VA disability also.

Comment

Working...
                        X