MS population in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS population in Florida

Is anyone here living in fl? How do you cope with heat?
    [QUOTE]:You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others, or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.

Air conditioning

Truth is, there is no place (except the beach) in our town that isn't air conditioned (well there is the occasional open air bar or restaurant on the beach, but most of those also have an inside air conditioned area.) So in the heat, I go from an air conditioned house, to an air conditioned car, to an air conditioned doctor's office or store.

My symptoms act up in the heat, my spasticity acts up in the cold. During the occasional cold spell, I always think there's no way I could live in the cold, because I can always crank the AC down, but it costs a lot more to crank up the heat (our unit costs more for heat than cold, not sure why that is, but it is) to the level it would take to get rid of my spasticity...so I wrap my legs in a blanket.

Outdoor activities are out though...because it is hot at the parks, etc. And a handicap parking tag works well so you don't have to walk across the hot asphalt (I don't drive much, so I get dropped off at the door.)

I read about heat waves all over the country, and the difference between florida and sone other parts...every place is air conditioned...just mho.

Comment

I love the heat. Being in a very hot tub bothers me, increases my symptoms. If its very hot, I tire more easily. I do try to keep cool-ish, but the heat doesn't really bother me....

Comment

RDMC.......

"our unit costs more for heat than cold, not sure why that is, but it is"

SIMPLE.......... in Florida most air conditioners are just air conditioners, most with HEAT strips that are very expensive to operate. They are like heating elements in a toaster (only much larger of course) and very very inefficient. They do give off WARM heat unlike more efficient heat pumps. Heat pumps heat by simply reversing the A/C action (direction of cooling).

When we lived in South Carolina we had a heat pump. Liked our fireplace for heat better though.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I live in Micigan but last year it was literally in the 90's almost all summer. And we have wicked humidity because of all the water.

I happen to live on a lake and found that swimming would instantly cool me down and give me my energy back. It's also the excercise that is very gentle on your body while using all the muscle groups.

I have heard some people cope by taking cool showers, wear a cold, wet towel around their neck or wearing cooling vests.

I'm sue more people will chime in, this seems to be a common problem with MS.
          I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

SW Florida here, air, I live in the air conditioning. I mostly run from one are condition place to another.

I was last summer walking the dog at the crack of dawn, but I have found it seems better to walk her in the evening when the sea breeze passes though. Some times I just go to the pet store and walk her. We both need that walk or we get cabin fever.

Florida can be a challenge. We have major summer thunder storms, (We are the lighting capital of the US.), we have hurricanes, forest fires, and other annoying weather issues besides heat. Make sure you have a hurricane plan. Water, extra food for everybody including pets, If in a mobile home or in flood zone have an escape plan for you and your pets. Your county website will have locations of shelters and applications for special needs shelters.
            If you stay home understand there is no fire or ambulance service during the storm.
            I have found that the aftermath of the storm is worse than the storm. No electric, phone, or cell phone, during Charley the cell went down before the land line. Streets can be blocked for a while. Ice for cooling your meds can be hard to find. If you follow the rules and prepare well ahead of the storm you will be fine.
            Welcome to Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudedmoon View Post
              SW Florida here, air, I live in the air conditioning. I mostly run from one are condition place to another.

I was last summer walking the dog at the crack of dawn, but I have found it seems better to walk her in the evening when the sea breeze passes though. Some times I just go to the pet store and walk her. We both need that walk or we get cabin fever.

Florida can be a challenge. We have major summer thunder storms, (We are the lighting capital of the US.), we have hurricanes, forest fires, and other annoying weather issues besides heat. Make sure you have a hurricane plan. Water, extra food for everybody including pets, If in a mobile home or in flood zone have an escape plan for you and your pets. Your county website will have locations of shelters and applications for special needs shelters.
              If you stay home understand there is no fire or ambulance service during the storm.
              I have found that the aftermath of the storm is worse than the storm. No electric, phone, or cell phone, during Charley the cell went down before the land line. Streets can be blocked for a while. Ice for cooling your meds can be hard to find. If you follow the rules and prepare well ahead of the storm you will be fine.
              Welcome to Florida.
              The bit about the weather and power outages from lightning storms and hurricanes was a real issue for me because of heat sensitivity. But a few years ago we got a gas powered generator, and a window air conditioner. So when the power goes out, my husband puts the generator in the back yard, and the window air conditioner in our bedroom...and we run the AC for that one room (enough, I just stay in there) and our fridge/freezer off the generator...so I have ice water and food doesn't spoil.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                The bit about the weather and power outages from lightning storms and hurricanes was a real issue for me because of heat sensitivity. But a few years ago we got a gas powered generator, and a window air conditioner. So when the power goes out, my husband puts the generator in the back yard, and the window air conditioner in our bedroom...and we run the AC for that one room (enough, I just stay in there) and our fridge/freezer off the generator...so I have ice water and food doesn't spoil.
                When I get my card paid off, I am thinking about getting one. You're right about the generator, they are a necessity here. I do have a battery powered fan that helps.

Comment

Working...
                X