Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

annoying spine pain: nerve or spasticity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

annoying spine pain: nerve or spasticity?

Hi Folks,
    I have a quick question in case anybody has had this.

When I tuck my head in while I am bending (like tying my shoes or make a pony tail with my upside down) I get this totally disgusting pain in my spine. It feels really deep and zingy (and yucky/creepy) and only in my spine. It is only when I am bending with my head tucked in. (if I just bend it's not there and if I just tuck in my chin it's not there or just barely)
    At first I thought it was because I always have really tight muscles in my right side face, neck and back which worsen and improve and that they were perhaps "pulling" on my spine a whole lot when I bend.
    Then I thought it was Lhermitte's sign because is was really strong and actually painful for a few weeks while I was having a relapse (or whatever it is that I have; I am undiagnosed).
    As I also had a lot of increased spasticity on my right side at that time, I dont really know if that is the true cause.

I have had this for a couple of months and it is not such a big deal, just icky feeling and annoying when it happens. I notice I already avoid things which could cause it and so it rarely gets in my way.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Lynne
    *undiagnosed and just hangin' in there somehow*

Originally posted by lynnepynne View Post
    When I tuck my head in while I am bending (like tying my shoes or make a pony tail with my upside down) I get this totally disgusting pain in my spine. It feels really deep and zingy (and yucky/creepy) and only in my spine. It is only when I am bending with my head tucked in. (if I just bend it's not there and if I just tuck in my chin it's not there or just barely) ... Then I thought it was Lhermitte's sign because is was really strong and actually painful for a few weeks while I was having a relapse (or whatever it is that I have; I am undiagnosed).
    That sounds just like Lhermitte's, even if you have to bend a little more to trigger it. From WebMD:
    "Lhermitte's sign. A brief, stabbing, electric-shock-like sensation that runs from the back of the head down the spine, brought on by bending the neck forward."
    http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclero...sclerosis-pain

Comment

Hi Redwings,
      thanks so much for your input.
      Everything I've read talked about just "chin to chest" bending causing Lhermitte's pain. (Maybe I just take things to literally.) It really does not feel muscular, I was just kinda hoping.
      Thanks!
      Lynne

Comment

Hi Lynne,
        L'hermittes was my first (doctor) noted flare and what was the catalyst for my brain and cervical spine MRI. I too could bring it on strongest when my back was flexed, and then i dropped my chin (like while cycling, or sitting hunched over) Have you called your neurologist? If you haven't had a neck MRI, it might pick up a lesion there and help you towards a diagnosis, and/or pinpoint what is going on. My buzzing lasted almost 6 months--but got worse before it got better, but has now disappeared. It was annoying, but most of all, a constant reminder of my MS, which was the worst when all I tried to do was *not* think about it.
        I hope it fades and disappears soon!!
        Warmly,
        Marleigh

Comment

Hi there my beautiful, daughter-like lovely~

Sorry to hear of yet another symptom...but.. you know this could get your closer to a diagnosis. And come to think about it, you are tucking your chin in while bending over.. aren't you? Or at least when you are making a ponytail?

Where DO you stand with getting a MS neuro there?

Remember..to write me ANY time ANY day ok? I mean that.

Hugs my sweet one~ Jan
          I believe in miracles~!
          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Hi Marleigh
            again, interesting and helpful response!
            No, I havent been to a neurologist lately. I am declining any more neurological stuff for the moment.
            I will only seek out a neurologist if I cant walk and have no reflexes or am in any other way in a big bad obviously totally not ok state. (And then only maybe. Long story)

But thanks, your comment was helpful!
            Lynne

Comment

Hi Jan!!

Where DO you stand with getting a MS neuro there?
              If only it were that easy.
              I am just slowly tallying up symptoms. It's really no fun.

My BF has even said "this year's has been rotten for you, Lynne" so it must really be so because as lovely as he is, usually he is kinda oblivious.

I am still waiting for the right moment for things to come together and for whatever this is to show itself. In the meanwhile I just try not to freak out about every little thing.
              Thanks and hugs,
              Lynne

Comment

Lynne .. I understand not running to the doc for these kind of symptoms. I do. Just wondering if it were witnessed by a doc it would be documented. But then are YOU documenting when a symptom starts.. how long etc?

HEY.. your boyfriend notices AND validates your misery? Wow!! Good for you.

Write me anytime.. ok sweetie?

Hugs~ Jan
                I believe in miracles~!
                2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Just wondering if it were witnessed by a doc it would be documented.
                  Yeah, I wish that were possible to do it that way. If my doctor relationships were a facebook status it would be set at "it's complicated"
                  And yeah, I really really should keep a journal. Truth is, writing it all down depresses me and causes me anxiety. I am relying on my posts here to be my "accidental journal"

I'll start making some small notes in my calendar... I am sure I will have wished I had later if I dont.

Lynne

Comment

Working...
                  X