Good places for summer vacation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good places for summer vacation?

I'm looking for good places to do a summer family vacation. I need to keep in mind that with MS I have restrictions on getting too hot and also walking too far or on difficult terrain. Can anyone offer some recommendations that are somewhat MS friendly? Perhaps something that has worked well for you? Thanks!!

San Francisco Bay Area

I highly recommend San Francisco and the surrounding Bay Area . We have a Mediterranean climate and generally have great weather even in July/August/September. I often feel blessed to be living here. There is a wealth of things to do for people of varying ages. You didn't mention how old all the travelers will be. There are tours of all types that don't necessarily require a lot of walking. Cable cars are a unique mode of transportation. There is a subway system (BART) as well as the Muni system.

World class restaurants as well as hole-in-the-wall places abound. Some attractions include: Golden Gate Park, SF Zoo, Fishermans Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, Pier 39, Lombard Street (crooked street), take in a SF Giants baseball game, Twin Peaks, Golden Gate Bridge, Fort Point, Ocean Beach, Alcatraz Island, Chinatown, The Exploratorium, etc. If you want to go a little further afield you can go to the Jelly Belly Factory in Fairfield, wine tasting in Napa and Sonoma Counties, Muir Woods in Marin County, Six Flags in Vallejo, Great America in Santa Clara, and SO much more.

Enjoy your trip planning. Hope this gave you a good start.

Comment

It sort of all depends on how much energy/fatigue you deal with and what you consider a good vacation. Some folks like the cities and action, some folks like the country and relaxing. And of course, what part of the country you're in and how far you want to travel.

Best vacation spot we've used in recent years is an old farmhouse high up in the North Carolina Mts, near Robbinsville. The house was quaint, there was a trout pond, with huge trout to catch, and many glorious venues that can be driven to and then enjoyed in that area of NC. I liked it because I could relax at the house, my guys could fish or hike back up the mountain, and then we'd go off adventuring in the car. It was a very relaxing vacation for all of us.

(it's appears isolated, but not really...town is only 15 minutes drive...google Jimbo's Farm for a look)

2nd favorite spot to vacation would be Victoria on Vancouver Island (well almost anywhere in BC, LOL)...did that years ago, but now that'd be a long plane ride from here.

Comment

while it was in April, my family went to california 6 years ago. one of the stops was in the serria nevada mountains. it is wonderful if you are just looking to relax. there are towns in the area for shopping. it was not hot at all
        Learn from yesterday
        Live for today
        Hope for tomorrow

Comment

As mentioned upthread - the Pacific Northwest, which would include British Columbia (Victoria and Vancouver), as well as Seattle and Portland Oregon for city life, or a place like Bend, Oregon for smaller town/rural/outdoor life. The climate is similar to that mentioned for the San Francisco Bay area only a little cooler - mostly. The Rocky Mountains of Colorado are also good for cooler climate activities. A resort like Vail or Beaver Creek, or Estes Park, is not just for skiing.

A cruise ship is a good family vacation - something for everyone, every age group. For cool summer vacations, consider cruises involving Boston, Maine, Canadian Maritime Provinces, Quebec City and Montreal. Ir if you can manage the Trans-Atlantic airfares (very high this summer), the Baltics and/or Norwegian Fjords.

Closer to home, I like Mountain Lake in Pembroke, Virginia. It's where the film "Dirty Dancing" was made so it may look familiar. Many different activities, and you can rent anything from a single hotel room to houses/cabins with 4 bedrooms.

Comment

Again this is offseason but I have found a great place in Newport Rhodes Island that has one and two bedroom suites. I found it because I have a 15 yr old daughter who was recently diagnosed with Celiacs. There is a great little kitchen with washer/dryer and having living room gives me space if I need to rest. It is on the beach and has fantastic off season rates. My girls and I are going next week. The regular rate $369/night and I think I am paying $159/night. And the suite part was just added in the last couple years.

Newport Beach Hotel & Suites
            Newport Rhodes Island
            M.
            A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
            Albert Einstein

Comment

I went on an Alaskan cruise that ended in Vancouver and loved it! It was peaceful and relaxing, lots of nature - glaciers, whales, eagles, sea lions... I went in July and the weather was 60's-70's during the day and cooler at night, so bring a light jacket. And on a cruise, you decide how active to be. My DH and I enjoyed most mornings sitting on our little balcony, eating room service smoked salmon, watching the scenery go by and reading.

Comment

Working...
              X