Deteriorate, Really? Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deteriorate, Really? Really?

I hate the word deteriorate. I know it is just a word but I hate it. I was just at my PCP to have my back looked at because I keep injuring the same place every time I decide that the ground needs to be "greeted". My dr and I were discussing all of my falls. She made the comment that due to my neurological issues, aka MS, that it is to be expected that I will deteriorate faster. She then went on to tell me all the things that she tells her older patients (as in 70s and 80s) to help with balance and coordination. I'm only 48. The only thing that kept coming to mind is that I'm like a rotting house falling a part. uuugh! Sorry for the rant!
    I tried to explain it to my DH but it was too upsetting for him to deal with.

Turtlebay,
    Let me be the first to weigh in here. IMO you have every reason to rant. It doesn't surprise me that your DH is having a hard time with it. My DW doesn't see how frustrated I am, but I know she cares. That's appreciated, a lot.
    You need to be your own advocate. The fact that your condition is baffling to you, and that your medical team is just as baffled, is not a surprise. The medical establishment, on the whole, is baffled by this disease. My team, PCP and neuro, were sitting around waiting for my next problem to surface. Those problems they can prescribe drugs for, with varying degrees of success.

I searched out a 'integrative' medicine MD and have added him to my team.
    There's much you can do to help yourself. There are many ideas that are mentioned here that you could try to improve your situation.
    And, as far as the word 'deteriorate'. Keep in mind that is the way of everything on God's green earth. We're just ridin' this bus. We ain't drivin'. Good luck

Comment

It's lovely, not, isn't it, to be told you're 'deteriorating'. I like 'Dilapidated'. Got the "are you drunk?" again yesterday, from someone who should know better.
      "No," I said, "Not yet."

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
        It's lovely, not, isn't it, to be told you're 'deteriorating'. I like 'Dilapidated'. Got the "are you drunk?" again yesterday, from someone who should know better.
        "No," I said, "Not yet."
        Oh no... I always feel like everyone is looking at me, -thinking- and -assuming- I'm drunk or drugged when I'm at work walking into walls and tripping over myself. I had been doing that for a while even before my diagnosis in November, but I just thought I was getting clumsier or something with age (I'll be 35 in May. I know, not old) and my first thought after diagnosis was "Wow, that explains so much about the last few months!"

My second thought was "I can think of several people at work to tell about this, word will spread like lightning, and nobody will think I'm drunk and/or drugged anymore"

They probably never really thought I was drunk or drugged, it was just me being paranoid, probably, but now I feel better.

As a side note - it wasn't even the clumsiness/drunkenness that sent me looking for answers, it was my feet going completely numb in August. Woke up like that, figured it was a pinched nerve and it would go away. It never did, just got worse, and started going up my legs. Got all the way up to my, umm... ladyparts. 3 days of Solu-Medrol later, ALL BETTER! Well, mostly... sometimes the feet are still numb when I overdo it, but not nearly to the degree they used to be.

Comment

Glad to be of service, Jess77.
          Pleased your 'lady parts' are back in business. That was one of my big fears when this MS thing began.
          Happily, they're still in working order.

Comment

Working...
          X