I got my first wheelchair today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my first wheelchair today.

It was not a joyous occasion.It was a convenient option.

I don't need a wheechair, per say. A wheelchair helps as an option.I probably will use it when we go out to dinner or the movies. Handicapped parking is usually a little far. The wheelchair will help.

I've been in denial, but I am handicapped.
    Without hope there's nothing.

Been there done that.........

One day my fam doc said I needed a chair.

I said, but it would be like admitting defeat or giving up...

He replied, NO in a firm voice.

He ordered a P/T evaluation.... when she came out, did her eval and before she left she asked me if it needed it tomorrow. At that point my walking was at a low point.

MY new power chair was delivered on a Wednesday afternoon, shortly before I had to leave for a meeting.
    When they delivered it I was like that's it. the guy said that what your doctor ordered. It had a special gel cushion and Ox tank holder.

Then on Sat morning, I was sitting there in my new power chair, I almost broke down, like my worst fear of several years had arrived. There is just something about a chair power or manual, that hits you mentally, ok me anyway.

Over the following weeks I learned that instead of imprisoning me, I could actually DO MORE! I learned, in time, to accept it as a TOOL.

Everyone has to learn how a chair, as a tool, helps them best do and enjoy more in life. Even then that may change over time or even from one day to another.

When I had the P/T evaluation
    I learned I was trying to do TOO MUCH on my legs and making things worse. by giving my legs a break, I could actually walk better. My walking is still limited, but I use my power-chair part-time and have found MY balance between using the chair and walking.

For things like going to large stores, malls, events and such, I bought a scooter that goes in my car trunk and it comes apart so I can take it out, put it back in etc without any help (so far).

Good luck with your new chair
    , it will in time become your friend, NOT your enemy, at least I did.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot
      Amen. It is your tool. You can still be demanding of yourself. But now you can use your valuable energy more wisely, stop falling, not be glued to home out of fear/listlessness/energy. Those are sad, wasteful things that you are cutting out with your new tool.

I understand the self-stigma. But you are the same person, only with a new go-kart and new opportunities. Do some adventures! Wishing you strength, brother.

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
        Been there done that.........

One day my fam doc said I needed a chair.

I said, but it would be like admitting defeat or giving up...

He replied, NO in a firm voice.

He ordered a P/T evaluation.... when she came out, did her eval and before she left she asked me if it needed it tomorrow. At that point my walking was at a low point.

MY new power chair was delivered on a Wednesday afternoon, shortly before I had to leave for a meeting.
        When they delivered it I was like that's it. the guy said that what your doctor ordered. It had a special gel cushion and Ox tank holder.

Then on Sat morning, I was sitting there in my new power chair, I almost broke down, like my worst fear of several years had arrived. There is just something about a chair power or manual, that hits you mentally, ok me anyway.

Over the following weeks I learned that instead of imprisoning me, I could actually DO MORE! I learned, in time, to accept it as a TOOL.

Everyone has to learn how a chair, as a tool, helps them best do and enjoy more in life. Even then that may change over time or even from one day to another.

When I had the P/T evaluation
        I learned I was trying to do TOO MUCH on my legs and making things worse. by giving my legs a break, I could actually walk better. My walking is still limited, but I use my power-chair part-time and have found MY balance between using the chair and walking.

For things like going to large stores, malls, events and such, I bought a scooter that goes in my car trunk and it comes apart so I can take it out, put it back in etc without any help (so far).

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot
        Thanks, Gomer for the sound advise.

Comment

thanks

I will try to remember all this

I just had my home eval for power wheelchair and am going with the one that is more sporty looking but has the option of tilt and so on if i should need it in the future.. (nervous here)

but i keep telling myself that i'll be able to go up and use the routed busses or to the store or pharm myself and so on

I am glad that yours is working out and thanks for sharing your fears of it as it reminds me of my own things that i try to shove in the back of my mind.. guess we all do that huh?

Comment

I still haven't used the wheelchair because I've been feeling pretty good.

Comment

I still haven't used the wheelchair because I've been feeling pretty good.
              Ms man, your post will be good news for those who feel that once they get a wheelchair, they will become dependent on it.

I agree with those who say that it is a tool that can have positive effects. My power chair has made a huge difference to my quality of life. Being able to get on a bus and go wherever I want, go and get my own groceries, and "walk" down the street with someone, gives me a huge sense of freedom.

Comment

I ditto all the other encouragement when it comes to using a wheel chair.

I decided to use the electric carts in the grocery store after coming home with bruises on my ribs from leaning on the regular cart.

I soon found, using the electric cart, I could get the shopping done much faster, without pain, and have more energy afterward. It didn't take long to start seeing aids as you would look at any other tool that makes life easier and more productive.

Now I have and use a wheel chair to go for 'walks' and get much needed fresh air, when I would otherwise be stuck in the house.

Comment

i got my wheelchair last year. for two reasons.

one: my least relapse put me in a chair for short distances for a week. A month latter it was still affecting my balance/distance walking.

two: my dad's (i am 21, still living w/ rents and on their insurance) new job had good insurance that wouldd cover 80% of the cost of a manual chair. not knowing how long that would last, I got fitted for one.

and btw, its green. i get alot of comments on it.
                  Learn from yesterday
                  Live for today
                  Hope for tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by StillOkay View Post
                    Ms man, your post will be good news for those who feel that once they get a wheelchair, they will become dependent on it.

I agree with those who say that it is a tool that can have positive effects. My power chair has made a huge difference to my quality of life. Being able to get on a bus and go wherever I want, go and get my own groceries, and "walk" down the street with someone, gives me a huge sense of freedom.
                    A wheelchair is a vital tool but not a neccessity at least for me.Hopefully, I may never use it but it's there.

Glad that your power chair is working out for you.I keep relying on my cane and it's a big help for me.

Comment

It's been 4 months since I got it and I've yet to use it.I folded it up and put it in our boiler room untouched.That's a good thing.I haven't had the need to use it but it's waiting in the wings.I may try it out for show one day LOL but it hasn't been neccessary yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X