exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exercise

hi.....what types of excerise do you do with MS?

Hello...I do Just Dance games on my daughter's Wii. It's low impact and something fun!
    Diagnosed April 2010

Copaxone May 2010 - April 2011; Tysabri May 2011 - Present

Comment

Indoors I use the elliptical, hand weights and yoga. Outdoors walking and swimming. I live on a lake so when it is warm enough swimming is the ideal excersize for me because it doesn't overheat me, works your whole body and if I get tired I can just float.

As far as I know the only restriction to excercise is your own mobility and balance.
      I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

I prefer what I call productive exercising.
        They include anything from walking my dog to spreading gravel or loading logs into my truck, I try to push the pace or effort to make it feel like a standard workout.

Also every so often I use heavy ankle weights, I walk like Frankenstein when using them but I walk much better after using them.
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I swim and use a pilates machine. Along with all of my other chores! :-)
          "I'm not sure what heaven will be like, but I know that when we die and it comes time for God to judge us,he will not ask,'How many good things have you done in your life?' rather he will ask,'How much love did you put into what you did?"—Mother Teresa

Comment

Swimming or anything in water are great exercises, exceptional good for all of us that are heat sensitive.
            Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

This is a great topic that isn't talked about enough. Exercise is important to keep moving, but also to ward off depression. In fact, you need to exercise (within your physical abilities) more than the average person (which isn't that much anyway).

Pick an exercise you can do a little and then do a little. Do it again and again and again, 3-5 times per week until you slowly increase. Never wear yourself out, but you will build over time. Never push. If you have physical limits, pick an exercise you can do. There is an elderly woman in a wheelchair at my gym who gets lowered into the water by lift. She swims every single day.

The golden rule is to do less than you are able, but do it often. As for the benefits: Exercise is nature's antidepressant, you will gain strength and energy, you will help prevent other diseases (who needs more?) and if you want to learn about nerve repair, google BDNF or see the link below:

http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...gram/Exercise/

Comment

i like

i like walking my dog, swimming, pilates and yoga. however you have to be careful to not overstretch and push yourself to far.

i have been guilty of this and then you pay for it, be gentle to yourself and make sure you warm up before any exercise

I like the idea of private instruction or at home videos so you don't feel pressure in a group setting to overdo it

exercise is so important
                moment by moment Wendy Rochet

Comment

I walk my dog, stretches, ankle weights and walker dancing.

Comment

Since my diagnosis, I've come to realize the type of exercise I do is related to my disability level. Before diagnosis, I was working out at a local fitness center but found I was regressing. After diagnosis, with walking and balance issues the main disability, my previous regression in exercise made sense. I went into physical therapy for three months. My pt gave me a 50 minute swimming pt program that I try to do at least once a week. He also got me doing Pilates on a machine called the Reformer which really helps with my right leg weakness. Unfortunately, these machines are usually only available under the guidance of a pt or in group classes which are expensive. I found a used one and purchased it for home use. I love it! I'm still able to walk the dogs with trekking poles. I use the fitness center once a week for cardio only. I also have a balance board at home that I use to maintain "brain-feet" connection. I agree exercise is important but don't overdue. Find exercises that fit your disability.

Comment

My sx are over 90% sensory, but my arms fatigue easily, so walking is #1 for me. I usually do 8-10 miles of quick walking per week, mostly in 1/2 hour chunks, a little over 1.5 miles. We have an elliptical trainer for bad weather days...

I learned some stretching and pilates-based exercises in PT after my back surgery last year, and do them 3-5 times per week for up to an hour. I also try to maintain my core strength/posture during my 1/2 hour walks.

When my wife & I are both in decent shape (at the same time ), we like day hiking, just about anywhere (I feel very lucky to live in N. California).

I also spend an evening making music with friends nearly every week.
                      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Working...
                      X