Optic Neuritis - call doctor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optic Neuritis - call doctor?

Since I had my first flare last May I've had occasional twinges of pain in my eyes from optic neuritis but starting yesterday afternoon I've been having more painful stabbing pains in both eyes. Mostly my left eye. It's not constant but if I move my eyes just the right way it HURTS.

Do you think it's necessary to call the neuro? My vision is fine. What does this mean, or should I ask what "could" this mean? How is optic neuritis treated? When I had it before at my intitial diagnosis the neuro did nothing.

I think if I were concerned about this, I would first call the neuro to see if he/she thought it was worth pursuing, and then would make an appointment with an ophthalmologist to take a close look.

I've had some of the same concerns as my first signal of MS was ON. Recently I've had a "headache" above my right eye that comes and goes. I'm wondering if that could have anything to do with ON (I had no pain with it the first time, so don't know what the pain of ON is like). I may check in with my doc to see what she thinks.

Comment

Call an ophthalmologist first. If your neuro thinks you're having ON they will probably send you to the eye doc for confirmation anyway...
      1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
      NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Even in the office, a neurologist isn't trained or equipped to properly examine eyes or vision. Over the phone, a neuro can't do a thing beyond tell you to see an ophthalmologist. Eye conditions are most properly managed by eye doctors.

If you need an ophthalmologist referral, call the neuro to get one. If you already have an ophthalmologist, call the ophthalmologist directly. You and/or the ophthalmologist can inform your neuro later as the need arises.

Comment

I had a diagnosed bout of ON previously, and mine was treated with a 3-day IV of solumedrol. Worked wonders!
          MS Diva
          (Well-behaved women rarely make history. Just a heads-up for ya...)

Comment

Working...
          X