? re cognitative functioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? re cognitative functioning

Have had cog functioning since the beginning of this journey, however the last month and 1/2 it has become even more difficult to think, speak, spell and write (not that my handwriting was EVER very good lol). Are there any meds to take for this? I try doing word puzzles, reading many things every day, and use the arcade daily to attempt to keep what little mind I have left working lol

I ask my dh a few nights ago if he has noticed this and he said yes. Then I asked why he had not mentioned it. Note here: we don't focus on MY MS ISSUES here as we take the less is more approach and try to laugh most things off (especially my choice).

His reply " well you have had this since it started and you know this why would I say anything?" For a split sec I was irked at this reply then I just started laughing as I realized I was obviously more a cute ly (this is how I spell now) aware at my internal struggle going on before I even got to the outwardly attempt at expression of words and sentences.

Any help out there???

I think the approach you and your husband take is pretty similar to our approach to the disease. We don't talk a lot about the day to day symptoms...what's the point.

We do laugh at some of the stuff (sounding like a drunk, since I don't drink, always gives us a good laugh.)

As far as word processing and finding...slow down when talking is my only advice.

Back when my son was a teenager, it would really irritate him when he'd ask me a question and I'd just stare at him. His comment was always, that he'd be in hot water if he took as long to answer a question as it took me to answer him. "Tough luck kiddo...it's part of the package," was my reply. I just slow down, try to think before I speak, and process mentally what I'm going to say before I say it.

Sometimes help...but doesn't everyone enjoy playing the "I wonder what she really means" game with us when we use the wrong word

Best story in all my years on this forum I read on a thread about saying or using the wrong word when we couldn't think of the right word. A member said she was looking for the word for "crucifix"...frustrated that she couldn't remember the word, just said, "Jesus on a stick."

There are meds for congitive function...I think they're the same meds they use for Alzheimer's patients. I found crosswords help me with word recall.

Hang in there.

Comment

I also believe that they use alzheimers meds like aricept and namenda for cognitive problems from any illness or head injury.

It is the most frustrating symptom I have.
      I don't fall, the floor attacks me. The corner of the bed is in on it too.

Comment

Working...
      X