MS and Breast Cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and Breast Cancer

Is there anyone on here that has also been dx. with BC. I am HER2 positive and taking herceptin. Oncologist stopped the copaxone because there is no data saying there are no interactions. Anyone else dealing with chemo/and other treatments where you had to stop MS meds? I'm searching for answers.

Hi Louise,

Here's a recent thread on the same subject.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118633

It sounds as if some oncologists do allow their patients to continue on Copaxone during treatment (Copaxone is not an immunosuppressant), but I have the impression that the interferons are definitely contraindicated.

Comment

MS THEN Breast Cancer

Hi Louise,

I was diagnosed with RRMS about 6 years ago and was put on Rebif. Then 2 years ago I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer, Stage IIa, grade 3. I had surgery and then 16 rounds of chemo. I stayed on the Rebif for a while during chemo and then stopped. I just couldn't bear to give myself injections on top of everything else that was going on. Both my neurologist and my oncologist were aware of what was going on and talked prior to my beginning chemo. My last chemo infusion was in 8/2010 and I am doing well.

When you have another illness on top of MS it sure does present challenges. All you can do is make sure any treating doctor is well informed of ALL meds you are taking. They should talk to each other as well. I think a consultation with a pharmacologist (NOT a pharmacist) might be worthwhile, also. It is not easy figuring all this out.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
        Is there anyone on here that has also been dx. with BC. I am HER2 positive and taking herceptin. Oncologist stopped the copaxone because there is no data saying there are no interactions. Anyone else dealing with chemo/and other treatments where you had to stop MS meds? I'm searching for answers.
        My lung cancer & chemo was 15 years ago, but my neuro said Copaxone was the only DMD he would recommend because of my compromised immune system.

That's obviously not the same as doing chemo at the same time, but the way he explained it to me Copaxone is the only DMD that does not suppress your immune system. So my guess is that your onc is just exercising maximum caution. Your BC is obviously the more urgent issue, and you can easily go back on Copaxone after. You don't want to be the one who discovers an interaction, do you?
        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

To add to the discussion,

Another reason that the oncologist is probably being cautious is the fact that chemotherapy is a balancing act. It can be a very delicate balance, one which he might be concerned that DMDs might upset in favor of the cancer.

Chemo is hard enough when all drug interactions are accounted for. If you have an unknown drug that has not been studied in conjunction with chemo, it stands to reason that caution is indicated.

Chemo has to be given in the correct amount to poison the cancer cells, while avoiding any more damage than necessary to the rest of the body. Every drug that you take has an effect on the body and change how your body reacts to other drugs.

Comment

Working...
          X