Insurance denied scooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance denied scooter

So, my insurance (Anthem Blue Cross) denied my scooter because I "can walk from bedroom to bathroom." I am thinking of having my doctor call and appeal. I CAN walk from my bedroom to bathroom and around my house, but with a lot of pain, and many days, if I don't use the walls, my balance is VERY bad. So, my doc wanted me to get it to lower my fatigue from having to walk with pain and make sure I don't end up on my face when I lose balance. Anyone else have this experience with insurance?
    “As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.” Thoreau

Not with that policy but with Anthem, yes. Your denial letter should have the policy number that was used when they denied your claim. Call and ask for a copy. You and your doctor will have to work around that. Don't just appeal without knowing what you're fighting against.

Comment

Did you appeal? And, did you finally get your scooter?

I'm about 51/49 ready to just buy one myself, but I don't have the extra money to spend.
      “As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.” Thoreau

Comment

I this problem when trying to get my power chair. We appealed it with a detailed letter from my doctors and PT,more medical doc.s. Also had a dexa scan done to show osteoporosis. With all that it prover that I am a fall risk.

I was told most people are denied the first time and sometimes the second just like when your applying for SSDI.

I was told in my case that they would not approve a power chair if your able to walk more than a few feet with aids or help. But that was for a power chair. Its probably different for a scooter. Best of luck to you . Don't give up ,appeal soon.
        dx. June 2010 RRMS ,May 2010 SLE
        dx.2007 RA
        my main are meds:Meds:gabapentin,baclofen,norco,copaxone,

Comment

Thanks, I will. I would think they'd have enough sense to know that spending a little money now will save them a lot later when I show up in the ER with something broken from falling. But, then, I'm applying logic to the insurance industry. I should know better!

Comment

Best of luck! An interesting tidbit; I recently fell and fractured my hip. My hospital bill is $74,000.
            ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Comment

Working...
            X