dizzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dizzy

today at work i was standing and looking at the patient board (the white one with all of the patient names on it) and out of nowhere as i am looking at the board, i became so dizzy that i started to fall over to my right side. luckily there was a table there so i put my arm out and braced myself. the feeling only passed when i looked away from the board. last week i had the same feeling when i was trying to chart.

at home over the last week or so i have also been feeling like to room is swaying when i am sitting on the couch. in fact this evening i was so sure that there was an earthquake that i had to refresh the earthquake page multiple times to see that there were none before i was satisfied. i'm not sure what is going on and feeling a bit nervous about it.
    dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

It's probably a MS thing. If I stand still for too long (ooh, all of 2 minutes, max) and simultaneously try to read something, I get a wave of dizziness.

The words go blurry, and I go sideways.

Trying to do two things at once, I suppose. Not good when standing and reading are not the most complicated of tasks.

I think it was Gerald Ford they used to say couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Add me to the list.

Comment

i am assuming its an MS thing as well, which scares me. the dizziness is worrisome because my current job and my future career (that i am one semester and two internships away from completing) involve transferring patients...i can't be dizzy and losing my balance in the middle of that! i guess the next step should be seeing my eye doctor. i have a sneaking suspicion that it has to do with my eyes rather than ears since both times it happened at work i was trying to read something (and probably on the couch i was surfing the web...).

i am also wondering if perhaps i am having this symptom today especially because in a moment of weakness today at work i ate rice krispies cereal with lactaid milk and then had soup that contained butter in it. i don't think that eating those things can account for all of it since i have had these symptoms popping up for about a week intermittently, and have noticed that i have had a lot more trouble with typing as well in that time.

i guess this is just the reality of a progressive disease.

does anyone here notice increasing/new symptoms when they stray from thier diet or should i be concerned about the possibility of a flare? do you think my neuro would take 2+ episodes of transient dizziness as cause for concern?
      dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

Thats how my flares start. I was dizzy for 6 months and during that time the dizziness got progressively worse until I started falling down. I also get dizzy when I look up.

Comment

Sorry about your dizziness. There are meds that can help. Don't just assume that it can't be controlled. I have had vertigo lasting weeks at a time, in the past. But meds were prescribed and it helped control the problem.

What meds escapes me now...I think it was some sort of benzo, but the point is It was controlled until it passed.

Call your neuro.

Comment

Dizzy, is it a flare?

Originally posted by pjsSissy70 View Post
            Thats how my flares start. I was dizzy for 6 months and during that time the dizziness got progressively worse until I started falling down. I also get dizzy when I look up.
            Hello, could you tell me how your dizziness started, did it come and go in the begining and then get worse? I've experienced a flare with dizziness before and it lasted for six months. now it's back. I also get dizzy when I look up down or to the side. driving and turning corners,or when I sit after moving around for awhile,or standing still for too long.

Just wondering if this is another flare for me.

Meissie

Comment

My dizziness starts off very slight. Just enough for me to stop and say, oook. Then it gets alittle worse, then more so and more so to the point Im standing still and suddenly fall down. That is how my last 2 flares started off. It occurs if Im laying down, sitting or standing. Gets really bad when I look up. Down and side to side are ok tho. As my flare ends and I start to recover the dizziness goes away. Dizziness is a big red flag for me that a flare is upon me.

Comment

Dizzy,is it a flare?

Thanks for your help,I also found my journal from where I had my last flare. Same symptoms.

Thanks!
                Meissie

Comment

My first major attack started with dizziness. Although I had been having dizzy spells of and on for a long time that lasted just a few minutes. But this one lasted for 4 months. Couldn't even walk or ride in a car.

The symptoms have never completely went away, some days are worse than others. This major attack was in Nov of 02. I tell everybody I have been on a free drunk every since!!

Comment

I've had this happen at work. I thought that the building had collapsed until I got my bearings! VERY disturbing. Mine was chalked up to MS.
                    MS Diva
                    (Well-behaved women rarely make history. Just a heads-up for ya...)

Comment

Dizzy,is it a flare?

Well it has now been about 2 wks and the dizziness, along with some sensitivity to sound is not getting any better.I have an appt. with my neuro on thursday but,I'm thinking about calling for a round of steroids tomorrow.

Although reading some of the post mine would not seem that bad,but it's enough to interfere with some parts of my everday life,like being a sub teacher,I can't work like this.

Any advice?

Meissie

Comment

Working...
                      X