First visit to Neurologist tomorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First visit to Neurologist tomorrow.

Making the first long awaited visit to the Neurologist tomorrow after an MRI showed MS lesions. It took over a month to get in and I am afraid I won`t make the most of my appointment time by asking the right questions..any suggestions on what to ask up front or what to expect from a first visit?

Write down your ? now as you think of them, take a pad with you and also someone to go into the exam room with you, I know myself I was trying to absorb what he was saying and missed some things that my wife heard and I didn't. Your going to have other questions as soon as you leave , ask them if there is any way to get them answered prior to your next visit.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

i cant say too much, but try to stay calm. i remember when my fiance went to the neuro the first time. its scary, i reccomend getting a pen and a notebook and sit down and think of all your questions and concerns and bring it with you to your apointment. it will make it easier for you to remember things to address. good luck, Ryan

Comment

I agree with the others. Write you're questions down and make sure your neuro answers every one before you leave. The first appt is a bit overwhelming especially is he confirms the MS dx. Then he will talk about the different DMDs so it can be a lot. Just try and take it all in and concentrate on what he is saying. Trust me, I know it can be difficult even if you already think you have MS and getting the official dx sometimes slams you right in the face. It's sorta like wow.....I really have this...... Good Luck and let us know. This is the best place to be. We all understand.
        Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
        RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
        Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

Notebook

That is what I did, although, I read ms for dummies in between my diagnosis and discussion appointment. I wrote down all of my questions and brought my notebook with me and wrote all of my answers too. I keep that notebook and write all questions as they come up. I love my new neurologist because he encourages emailing questions as I get them.
          RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

All good advice.

For the dx phase I brought my wife (an ex-reporter) to every appointment. We pooled our pre-visit Qs and she made sure we asked them all, and took notes on the answers (while I sat there doing the deer-in-headlights thing ).

Also, even she has resorted to bringing a small recorder in case we want to re-check our memories. No doc should object, but you must ask permission first.
            1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
            NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Don't worry about having every question answered at your first neuro visit. Coming to terms with having the illness may be enough at this point.
              My neuro reviewed my MRI's with me, answered questions, gave me literature on the illness and available drugs, and scheduled another appt for one week later. I used the time to research the web (including this site) and read several books including "The Everything Health Guide to MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS" by Margot Russell and Allen C. Bowling, M.D., Ph.D.
              My second appt is coming up and I feel much better equipped at this point to ask important questions and hopefully to understand his responses.....
              Dx 3/4/12. Tec X 2 as of 7/7/13
              Weebles wobble and occasionally they DO fall down!

Comment

Thanks and new question

Thanks everyone for your responses on my first neuro visit. The first visit went pretty well and I loved the Doctor which is real important..Not looking forward to the 3 MRI`s she has scheduled but I guess you have to do what you have to do. I do have a question, shortly after getting home my right foot started "buzzing" like an electrical current was pulsing..It came and went and now is there continueously and is in my left foot as well..I can still move my feet and toes but wondering if it is something others have experienced and if I should be worried? I have another appt on tues for some nerve conduction tests..should I wait and mention it then?

Comment

Originally posted by doglady7 View Post
                  Thanks everyone for your responses on my first neuro visit. The first visit went pretty well and I loved the Doctor which is real important..Not looking forward to the 3 MRI`s she has scheduled but I guess you have to do what you have to do.
                  Having a doctor you actually like really is great.

For MRIs I just get my ears plugged and then spend the time somewhere between meditating and napping.

I do have a question, shortly after getting home my right foot started "buzzing" like an electrical current was pulsing..It came and went and now is there continueously and is in my left foot as well..I can still move my feet and toes but wondering if it is something others have experienced and if I should be worried? I have another appt on tues for some nerve conduction tests..should I wait and mention it then?
                  That's called paresthesia, and is a common symptom. Assuming it is neither painful nor disabling I'd just bring up next week.
                  1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                  NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Originally posted by doglady7 View Post
                    ...Not looking forward to the 3 MRI`s she has scheduled... I do have a question, shortly after getting home my right foot started "buzzing" like an electrical current was pulsing..It came and went and now is there continueously and is in my left foot as well..I can still move my feet and toes but wondering if it is something others have experienced and if I should be worried? I have another appt on tues for some nerve conduction tests..should I wait and mention it then?
                    Mention the "buzzing" for certain. I've had that multiple times in both feet and legs. It was part of the flare that got me diagnosed. Don't worry about it, as hard as that might seem. Just be sure to let your DR know what is happening and if the buzzing spreads.

For the MRIs that are scheduled, ask for a pillow to go under your knees and a blanket to cover you. The room is somewhat cold.

Ear plugs are offered now, which is nice. If you need, you can get a valium to help relax you. I'm not afraid of small spaces, but some are.

Make sure your DR has a blood patch drawn. It's a bit of blood drawn to replace the spinal fluid that is drawn. It will prevent sever headaches.

MRIs are amazing tools and have been a wonderful help for MS.
                    I hope all goes very well!

Comment

Working...
                    X