Overwhelming exhaustion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overwhelming exhaustion

I have times where this feeling of exhaustion comes on fast and I feel like I just cannot take another step and have to lay down and rest. Does this happen to anyone else? It's so frustrating. I am trying to help my husband run our horse boarding facility but, just when I get started with some of the labor involved, I get so tired that all I can do is lay down and get some rest!! I hate it! I just started my avonex last Friday and only a quarter of a dose, so maybe I just need to be patient and wait until I have more of the drug on board to help me? I sure hope it helps with this symptom. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. This is such a great site to use when you have questions or need support.

DMDs do not treat our sx, they just (hopefully) slow progression of the disease.

Several of us here take an anti-oxidant supplement combination for fatigue: Alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyl L-carnitine. Search Tara's thread & specifically Shashi's posts for more information.

Others here have success with drugs prescribed by their doc & others can tell you the names of those drugs.

Personally, if I don't take my Alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyl L-carnitine every morning I am worthless. Had that confirmed one day when I accidentally forgot to take them & almost didn't make it to lunch!

I need the study dose of 400mg ALA & 2000mg ALC for the best results.

That being said, once a week or so I will still "run out of gas" & need to sleep several extra hours. I have been known to come home from work, take a nap before supper so I can make it through the night. That is just something I have to do for me.
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Here's a link to the "Tara's Nutrition & Supplement Notebook" forum Toomnyhats mentioned.

http://www.msworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Comment

I have been like that since October 2011. The last month seems to be some improvement finally. I am still going to bed really early but don't take a long nap after work at 3:30 every day now. So there is hope! I have been on progevil for about a month and it really seems to be working!

Comment

Thanks everyone

My neuro is putting me on Ritalin for a trial, to see if that helps......have to try it because cannot function with this lethargy

Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions and experiences!!

Peace out....

Comment

Just a thought, but you may want to try the anti-oxidant supplements first. They're substances that your body needs anyway, whereas Ritalin is a Schedule II drug that is a stimulant, which can cause all kinds of side effects. I'd far rather use something my body needs than something that could harm me. (And if they don't work for you, you can always go ahead with the Ritalin. Just be sure to give them at least a month of taking them every morning to get the full effect.)

Good luck! I remember well how horrible that fatigue can be. (I used to not be able to even go to the grocery store without having to ride the motorized carts because I didn't have the energy to get through. Now I'm working 14-hour days and am just "normal" tired.)
            Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
            Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
            Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I can not even imagine working 14 hour days. Some days it is difficult for me to make 8. I am so happy for you!!!!

Comment

I've taken Provigil for a few years and it helps a bit. It's NOT a stimulant; it helps wakefulness. Main use is for narcolepsy. I've read a lot of recommendations for antioxidants, and that's great for those it helps, but no one should feel guilty about taking what's medically necessary.

Comment

Overwhelming fatigue was my first concerning symptom, and it continues to be my "number one" symptom on a day to day basis. I call what you're describing "hitting the wall". And you never know where the wall is going to turn up.

Sometimes I'll get up, eat breakfast, pull myself together, and think, "I feel okay today, I'll get a lot accomplished!" and by 9:00 o'clock, I hit the wall. Some days it's not until noon, sometimes even 3:00!

I rarely get through a day without, at some point, feeling as though I can't take another step or think another thought.
                  "I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future."

Comment

No one understand this kind of fatigue like we do! It's torture! Add pain, dizziness, numbness etc etc to the mix and you have MS! Wish I could help. Or I wish someone could help us!
                    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
                    X