Need help I've been DX.with MS,RA,and Lupus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help I've been DX.with MS,RA,and Lupus

Yep I won the trifecta of AI diseases. Was diagnosed with RA in 2006 ,MS and lupus in 2010. Here the problems I've been putting of treatment for me MS for 2 years now because I was in disbelief that I had MS . But after may neuro's ,tests and retests its defiantly MS . Now my neuro is needing my to stop procrastinating and treat the MS. But in doing so how do I treat the other 2 problems. IS there a drug DMD that anyone can think of that covers all 3 diseases? I've already tried mtx,arava in the past with severe side effects. So their a no go. I'm allergic to sulfa drug so that cuts out some drugs. Boy this is a pickle. I'm trying to get some ideas and do some research on these drug prior to my appointment with my Rhuemy on the 15th . I just saw my neuro today and will be see him as soon as I figure out what treatment to take. I'm trying to be brave in all these but am worried that I treat one diseases will the others get worse if I can't treat them . I know that that is impossible to predict but its a fear I have.

Thank all for you help.
    dx. June 2010 RRMS ,May 2010 SLE
    dx.2007 RA
    my main are meds:Meds:gabapentin,baclofen,norco,copaxone,

Hi gimpy2:
    You are in a bit of a pickle.

None of the first-level injectible MS meds are approved for -- or used off-label for -- any conditions other than MS. Other meds currently approved for MS aren't used for RA or lupus. All of the anti-TNF drugs (e.g., Humira, Enbrel, Remicade) used for RA have been associated with a demyelinating nerve condition so are now contraindicated in anyone with MS.

It might look daunting right now, but there are some options. You didn't mention whether you've tried Cellcept. It has been used for all three conditions (although its performance in MS has been good in some cases, it hasn't proved to be outstanding and isn't a first choice). Rituxan is approved for RA and has been used for lupus and MS (although its performance with MS has been good in some cases, it hasn't proved to be outstanding and isn't a first choice). Both medications carry warnings for progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML).

Azathioprine and cyclosporine have been used for RA and lupus. Both drugs have also had some success in MS, but limited enough that neither really caught on for MS, with other meds proving more effective. Some neurologists have revived the use of azathioprine for MS, so it might be an option for you. There are also some combinations to consider, like maybe plaquenil for RA and lupus, and Copaxone for MS. (So far, Copaxone doesn't appear to be incompatible with the RA/lupus drugs.)

Only time and trial will tell what med or combination of meds will work to cover your trifecta. But it doesn't appear right now that you'll be forced into a position of having to leave one of the conditions untreated.

Comment

So sorry! All of this is over my head for sure! Hope your doctors can figure out a plan. Keep in touch!!!

Comment

Redwings thank you so much! I'm going to have to copy your responds in order to check into all this stuff. I'd thought about plaquenil but don't now much about it . Have to make sure that its not a sulfa drug. Copaxone seem to be the safest of the drugs . I believe that Rituxan may not be covered by my insurance I've got to look into that one.

Last night was a very bad one. My left shoulder cracked hard on me and it very painful today. I'm still recovering from a shoulder surgery I'd had done last October. Just had the shoulder Mri'd again because my PCP is concerned that it may have a torn tendon because I should have been healed by now.
        I've got a lot on my plate these days. It should be interesting to check into all this treatment while on painkillers. lol I'm just a bit spaced out at the moment. =)
        dx. June 2010 RRMS ,May 2010 SLE
        dx.2007 RA
        my main are meds:Meds:gabapentin,baclofen,norco,copaxone,

Comment

Working...
        X