MS Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Question

Recently I have been have an area on my thigh go numb. That with tingling in my toes and hands had me search WebMD. One possible answer was MS.
    What do I need to do to rule this out?
    JM

Looking for Answers

Sometimes the Internet is a wonderful thing and at other times the information can scare you to death. If you are seriously concerned that you might have MS then you need to consult a neurologist. He will likely take a complete clinical history and possibly schedule you for an MRI and maybe other tests such as bloodwork and a lumbar puncture. The diagnostic criteria for MS is called the McDonald Criteria.

So many things can mimic MS and the diagnosis is not always an easy one. Many members here on MS World have had symptoms for years and do not have a confirmed diagnosis. They are in what is often called "limboland."

I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Comment

1st I would see my pcp and request a MRI, and see what your MRI says and request to see a neuro.
      Anita

Comment

You can start with your PCP to discuss your symptoms. Sometimes PCPs know what kinds of tests to order, sometimes they don't. If you're concerned about MS, it might be more efficient to just start by asking for a referral to a neurologist. But sometimes the sequence is determined by how your medical insurance works.

The following page from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society gives an overview of how MS is worked up:
        http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...-ms/index.aspx

Comment

Working...
        X