Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opthalmologist Today, Any questions to ask?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opthalmologist Today, Any questions to ask?

Hi - I have my annual check-up today and haven't had any ON or anything, so I was wondering if there is anything I need to ask the doc??

Thanks.
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

Have you ever had ON or not just since your last checkup? Maybe a visual field test if it's not part of your checkup.

Also, a digital picture of your eyeballs might be a good idea if your Opth has the equipment. Even if nothing is unusual at this time, it's a good thing to keep in your file as the shape of our eyeballs can change. Not like triangles on a a Jack-o-lantern or anything like that!

I hope your appointment goes well for you.
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thanks Cat Mom

Good advice! I go to a really good place, so hopefully when I tell them about the dx they will know what to ask/do.
      Ampyra 10mg 2xday
      Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

I think Cat Mom is spot on -- use it as an opportunity to collect as much 'baseline' data as they can test. It'll come in handy if/when you develop sx in the future (which won't necessarily be MS-related!).
        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

How did it go? Did the eye doc have anything special to check outside of the usual? Just curious.
          I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

update

The visit was good and the doc was very familiar with ON and early dx of MS in his patients.

No damage or swelling of the nerve!

Eyes in good health and still just need readers.

My next question will be to the neuro in May, what do you do if you do get ON?? Go to the eye doc to confirm? Go to the ER? Call the neuro??

I know I may never get it, but I want to be prepared just in case.
            Ampyra 10mg 2xday
            Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

ON symptoms and who to see

My Optic Neuritis started with floaters. I didn't know what they were. It came on suddenly. Hubby knew what they were, he has early Macular Degeneration.

I saw an optometrist who did a test. Test showed severe swelling of optic nerve. Totally blocked. Immediately called the local hospital for an MRI and sent me to see a Opthamologist/Neurologist he knew the very next day. I didn't know there was such a field together. He also happened to be versed in MS. In two days I was diagnosed with ON based on what they found. The Opth/Neuro did suggest that day possible MS at the time saying it usually is a precusor. After a year I am still in limbo for MS.
              STR

Comment

Glad to hear your checkup went well! As for ON and where to go for treatment, I think it depends on how it presents itself.

Some people, like the previous poster, get floaters, zig-zag lines, distorted colours, etc. that can last for a while. It might take some time to even realize it's ON and not something else (like age related or from looking at a computer too long, reading in bad light, another illness, etc.).

ON took my sight literally overnight and was so unbearably painful. It has happened in the left eye so many times that the optic nerve has been destroyed by the imflamation even with steroid treatments. It was a no-brainer (no pun intended) to head straight to the emergency.

If you are concerned about it (can't blame you) maybe keep a diary of your eye sx; there might be a pattern that you could bring to your neuro's attention. Also, it's helpful to note what you were doing when these sx happen. Heat, fatigue and stress, for example, can trigger some of the sx and simply cooling down can sometimes relieve them.

It took years to get used to living "an optical illusion". I'm so used to it, it doesn't even freak me out anymore. It may take some time for you to get used to your sx, what's panic-worthy and what's not. Please try to stay calm and document anything that seems out of sorts.

Jen
                RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

When I had the pleasure of experiencing ON there was NO doubt about going to the eye doctor (see an ophthalmologist not an optometrist by the way). I lost my central vision (just a black spot) and have severe stabbing pains. I've experienced 11 documented ON flares since my diagnosis. At least the pain gets less and less, probably because there is less to attack.
                  One more thing, my red color vision started to fade to pink preceding an attack. It's also does this now when I exercise or get hot. It's actually been a fabulous barometer for how intense my work outs are and if I'm going to have a good or bad day. If I wake up and my vision is already challenged then I know not to plan on getting much done that day!

Comment

Originally posted by jbell2435 View Post
                    My next question will be to the neuro in May, what do you do if you do get ON?? Go to the eye doc to confirm? Go to the ER? Call the neuro??
                    ALWAYS go to the ophthalmologist for proper examination, diagnosis and documentation. The ophth will order or coordinate treatment if that's what's decided on. The neuro isn't trained or equipped to properly examine eyes/vision. The ER is hit or miss on ON, depending on a variety of factors. Going straight to the ophthalmologist streamlines the process as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
                      ALWAYS go to the ophthalmologist for proper examination, diagnosis and documentation. The ophth will order or coordinate treatment if that's what's decided on. The neuro isn't trained or equipped to properly examine eyes/vision. The ER is hit or miss on ON, depending on a variety of factors. Going straight to the ophthalmologist streamlines the process as much as possible.
                      Thanks! I didn't know that and hopefully won't have to...
                      Ampyra 10mg 2xday
                      Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Working...
                      X