Recurring Bladder infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurring Bladder infection

I came down with a bladder infection last week. I went to the doctor and the urine analysis indicated a mild infection. I was put on antibiodics and it helped. I only had one dose left to take and I noticed the same symptoms coming back.

I went back thinking I needed a different antibiodic, but my urine test came back negative. The nurse mentioned that it was probably masked since I was just finishing my medication and the doctor would not give me a different antibiodic, because it came back negative.

I just remembered my neuro asking when I was first diagnosed if I had problems urinating. At the time, I didn't but now I have occasional 'leaking' and wondering if this is all related.

Now I'm confused if it is a regular bladder infection, or problems caused my MS, and is going to be a constant problem. I am just concerned because I just got done with a weeks worth of antibiodic and it is occurring again.

I am also on Amprya, which one of the common side effects is bladder infection, but I have been on it for 2 years and never had any problems.

Thoughts?? Do I call again to see if my urine analysis will be positive again, and keep taking antibiodics every time it happens. What do others do? Do you just have a standing prescription, how do you handle the occassional leaking that maybe only happens once a month. I hate this feeling of pressure and constant need to urinate.

Thanks for your input!
    Fall down seven times....get up eight!

I use to have constant UTIs prior to my MS Dx. When I mean constant I mean at least 6 per year. No one could figure out why. After my diagnosis, I was immediately sent to a urologist, who straightened things out for me and now I rarely get UTIs.

The Sulfa Antibiotics, Bactrim/Septra, are usually the best for UTIs. Sometimes it takes a couple of rounds to clear an infection...especially if it has gone on for awhile. Additionally, Sulfa Drugs can cause Yeast Infections which can mimic a UTI.

If I was experiencing leaking along with the UTI or even separately, I would see if I could get a referral to a urologist. That would rule out the drug or if it is MS-related. There might be a simple fix.

UTIs can be downright miserable. Sorry you are going through that.

Katie

Comment

Thanks Katie,
      I appreciate your response. I have a doctor's appointment set up for Wednesday to see if I can narrow down what is causing the infections!

It's just nice to hear from other people who may be going through the same things!

Fall down seven times....get up eight!

Comment

I'd check to see of the doc could do a culture to be 100% sure there is no infection and ask for a referral to a urologist.
        I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

I second the mention of culture and sensitivity of your urine to determine which germ caused the infection, and which antibiotic will kill that germ. And the nurse was right, the recent course of antibiotics can "mask" the current infection. If there are still antibiotics in your system, they can be enough to make no germs grow in the culture, but not eliminate the remaining germs.

So getting the culture (seeing what germs grow) and sensitivity (seeing what antibiotics will be effective for the infection) at the start can be very helpful. If your symptoms are still bothering you, then your doctor knows what other antibiotic would be more effective.

It is important to have a urology evaluation. Tests called cystoscopy and cystometrogram can tell if your bladder nerves are functioning normally, which they might not be if MS is part of the cause of your bladder symptoms.

Once your doctors have clearly identified the nature of the problem, then appropriate treatment can be initiated.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaGirl View Post
            I hate this feeling of pressure and constant need to urinate.
            Iowa,

this is the comment that concerns me. if you constantly feel pressure and like you need to urinate, have you had any studies done to see if you are retaining urine in your bladder? i would rule that out asap because if you are retaining urine, you can get all the cultures done in the world and be on antibiotics for the rest of your life and you will STILL get uti's.

in regards to your new symptoms, since the doc is unwilling to prescribe something new without a positive UA, there is something called AZO that you can buy over the counter that will help with the symptoms only. you could try taking that for a couple of days so that you are not uncomfortable and then repeating the UA once the antibiotics are out of your system. please note that AZO does not treat a UTI, only antibiotics will do that. it is for symptom relief only and can only be taken for a max of two days.

i really sympathize, i went through a period of back-to-back UTI's about 5 years ago. it was so miserable. they did some testing and decided i was just unlucky and prone to getting uti's. maybe it was a MS flare? who knows. it has since subsided after being prescribed a standing dose of cipro (allergic to sulfa and macrodantin) and taking that for about a month. i too started to have bladder spasms even without an infection because my bladder lining was so damaged from all of the infections.
            dx: RRMS 9/8/11 copaxone 12/5/11

Comment

I too have always issues with my bladder. When I was diagnosed my neuro told me all those negative urine cultures I had done were probably because the feeling of urgency and discomfort was ms nerve related.

I went to see a urologist and he was so rude that I have not pursued further treatment. I dont have any leakage just the got to go right now feeling sometimes and that constant pressure. While I was at his office I had an u/s done that determined that I dont hold urine in my bladder, so I am just going to stick with what my neuro said. I wish you luck.
              LIVE LOVE LAUGH

Comment

Working...
              X