Anyone have this happen to their eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have this happen to their eyes?

I was watching tv tonight, and all the sudden my vision started to get funny. I closed each eye alternately, and I kept "seeing" the same thing, so I know it isn't my eyes. When I looked straight ahead, there was a flashing line at the top right of my vision, and it circled around and down to a fuzzy-ish small area. When I looked directly at the TV, I could see most of the screen, but I was aware that this flashing fuzzy curved line was there, adn it was REALLY annoying. This continued for about a half hour, and over that time, it moved up until it was almost vertical across the top of my right line of vision when looking straight ahead. It continued moving up until it left my field of vision completely. I made a picture of what it looked like in the beginning and at the end.

Here's a link to the picture: **URL removed per MSWorld Guidelines. You may put it in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see.**

If you can't click on it, copy and paste. I made it a tiny URL, because it is in my Google Docs, and the URL's are HUGE.

If you have time, please take a look. I've had this happen before, and it is really weird!

Thanks! Michelle
    “As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.” Thoreau

Hi Michelle,

If you do choose to put the URL in your Profile, you might want to check it first. It didn't work for me.

Sorry to hear about your vision weirdness. I haven't experienced anything like that myself, but perhaps someone else here has.

Comment

Hi, I wasn't able to see the picture, but from how you described it (which by the way was very good), yes I have had this happen.

My eye doctor told me these are ocular migraines. She didn't attribute it to my MS at all though. If you look it up, you can get more info on them.

Check with your eye doc next time you go, they may be able to confirm if that's what you're having.

Comment

Hi Michelle:
        Even without me seeing a picture or a drawing, what you described is very characteristic of an ocular migraine. There are many sources of information about ocular migraine online for you to check out (just be sure you're reading reputable medical sources and not forum postings). You can also google terms like "ocular migraine images" to get an idea of the different forms that the typical scintillating scotomas can take.

You're right -- ocular migraines don't happen in the eyes. They're a result of chemical and electrical activity in the brain, which is why the disturbances affect the vision of both eyes at the same time and are noticeable even with the eyes closed.

Ocular migraines are surprisingly common. I've had many episodes myself. I've even had a few episodes hit while I was driving, a couple impairing my vision to the point I had to pull over and wait for them to pass.

If, after reading several articles about ocular migraine, you still have questions about your vision, it would be wise to make an appointment with an eye doctor to have your eyes and vision checked.

Comment

Wow! Thanks so much for the info! I just looked it up, and what I experienced is definitely a "Scintillating Scotoma." It sounds like it's just an annoyance that happens sometimes and doesn't cause any damage or relate to MS at all, so I guess that's good???
          “As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.” Thoreau

Comment

Working...
          X