Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can I hold up? Need prayers please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can I hold up? Need prayers please!

The department head at the college where I teach resigned without giving notice this past Tuesday. (Extremely unprofessional!) That left me and a part-time instructor to cover her classes as well as our own. I was already working 14 hours twice a week. Now, it's 14 hours Monday through Thursday every week. This past week I was off on Monday, so worked 42 hours in three day. I can't come home between the day and night classes because of distance and gas, so have to just work through the afternoon.

I used to work similar hours when I was a nurse, but that was 20 years ago. I'm not as young as I used to be, and with the fatigue that I still battle, even with ALA and ALC, I'm not sure I can do this. I slept until 10 a.m. this morning, went back to bed and slept for two more hours, and still feel so exhausted and drained that I can barely move.

We're trying to find someone to teach these classes, but it may take awhile, and we'll still have to train the person. I don't know how long I will last like this!

I'd appreciate your prayers and any advice on how to maximize my energy. Oh, and also anything that might help the pain I've been having in my right hand for the past two weeks. (I think it's spasticity. Or overuse from typing, I'm not sure.)
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
    I was already working 14 hours twice a week. Now, it's 14 hours Monday through Thursday every week.
    I guess I should clarify that I was working two 14-hour days and two 5-hour evenings a week, but am now having to work four 14-hour days Monday through Thursday. (See how tired I am? I wasn't even making any sense!)
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Shashi...........

I feel for you, but I have not a clue how you can best handle this situation. I have been on disability for 27 years, so I have been out fo the work area for a long long time.

Good luck, just do the best you can and hope some relief comes soon!

Gomer Sir Falls-A-Lot

Comment

Is there somewhere you could have a sleep/ nap in the afternoon?

Tell them you're tired. No one should have to work 14 hour days four times a week if they don't want to.

Comment

Shashi...
          I was just wondering if your PC has the voice thing where you can talk and it does the typing for you? I know my laptop has something like that but I'm not that great with this stuff, but I have a feeling you might be, it would sure help your hands. I'm thinking it is called voice reconition (sp) Hope this helps you

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
            Is there somewhere you could have a sleep/ nap in the afternoon?
            This is a great recommendation.

Sashi--Even though I was in the military, I got "rented" out to a University to teach for 2-years. I was in the classroom teaching 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. This equated to 12-hour days. I was use to 12-hour days, but not with MS.

I had a 90 minute break in between two sessions. I asked for a couch to be put in my office...and they accommodated me. I would take a nap, the admin assistant would come in and wake me up and I would go on with the day. I was completely revitalized.

I would take small things to eat throughout the day which really helped with energy.

I found B-12 helpful as well.

Good luck--Katie

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. We do have a sofa in our faculty break-room, but I do my work in my classroom, so nowhere else to go. (I wish they had a hammock I could just crawl in.) I could take a nap in my SUV, I guess. At least until summer when it gets really hot, but hopefully I'll be back to my normal schedule by then.

The voice recognition is a great idea, maximumlite. I know Microsoft Word used to have that capability, but I don't know about the newer versions. I'll check it out. A few years ago when I had carpal tunnel surgery, I tried to use the voice recognition, but it takes awhile to "train" the software to your voice, and the resulting mistakes were hilarious!

Comment

I sometimes nap or meditate in my car after a quick lunch.

I don't think Word has voice recognition, only voice 'playback'. The #1 software for recognition (i.e., you talk, it types) is 'Dragon Naturally Speaking' (http://www.nuance.com/dragon/index.htm). I have it, and it works well, but I feel so stupid talking to computers that I hardly ever use it...
                1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Dang!! Always something my friend eh?

Do you know what my first thought was? Please don't take this wrongly, but I thought THIS will lead to a diagnosis. Sorry~Hugs.

However, then it reminded me of when I was working in mental health/substance abuse with desperate women/moms most often homeless. Not the kind of job where it was easy to leave it at work. However, I did have a love seat so got to do my charting with my legs up and then head off to night class.. for years!!

Next office, no love seat and lots of extra little stairs in this rather old building. So to "rest" my fatigued muscles/brain, I would put a table next to my office chair and rest my legs on that. I trained EVERY single muscle to relax upon command.. went somewhere peaceful/relaxing in my head.. serenity~ It helped for awhile.

Mabe be really easy on your students (they will love you more) while sticking to the curriculum requirements.

Your life WILL be work and sleep. Try to do as much prep at home for food etc. Your housework will probably go to heck unless you can bribe someone $$ to help you out.

ASK for support now ok? But what on earth was going on with this dept head that they just walked out? I bet something political and they cracked.. just sayin..

Sending your light and strength for increased stamina!!

Jan
                  I believe in miracles~!
                  2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                  Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

oh, what an awful predicament to be in! i`ve done 14 hr days and they wiped me out, and that was long before my ms! b12 is a great suggestion, as well as the others. can you put one of those "moon chairs" anywhere to get in a nap? they don`t look it, but they are comfy.
                    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                    volunteer
                    MS World
                    hunterd@msworld.org
                    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Prayers

Shashi,

I have no words of wisdom for you, but I wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you!

Comment

When it rains, it pours. On top of what's going on with my job, Sunday my 82-year-old dad was admitted to the hospital with an infected, necrotic gallbladder. He had surgery this afternoon and his surgeon said it was the worst gallbladder he'd ever seen. My brother and I are alternating staying overnight at the hospital with him. (Tonight is my turn again.) I was out of work yesterday and tonight and will be out in the morning too. As I said, when it rains, it pours! (And I'm exhausted!)

Comment

Aww my sweet friend, HUGS!!

OK isn't this the time when you start going UP UP UP??
                          Let us know how your dad is doing, ok?

Warmly, Jan
                          I believe in miracles~!
                          2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                          Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Prayers sent your way Shashi.
                            , T2B

"I have a lot of pain in my microwave".

Comment

{{{Hugs}}} Lisa. Sometimes it definitely does pour. Hang in there, and do remember to take care of you too.
                              I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Working...
                              X