X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

phantom pain

Hi,
    I don't know how else to describe it.

I've been one of the fortunate ones in that pain hasn't been one of my symptoms, until recently. It began months ago with excruciating pain in my feet (I'm in a wc) but only when something touched them. Now, I feel the same type of pain, I could swear my heel is resting against something or my slipper is too tight, etc, but there's nothing there. This pain from 'nothing' is severe enough to keep me from sleeping.

What causes this? Can I do anything to relieve it when there's nothing there?

Thanks,
    Laurakim

phantom pain

I had a grandpa that suffered from phantom pain concerning the leg he had to have amputated. It would wake him up at night, so I know the pain was real. Nerve endings don't recognize the limb is gone, so it must have driven him crazy over the years.

Comment

Laurakim, I had the most excruiciting pain in both arms for several years. After comming across articles describing pain in amputated limbs, I realized my arm pain was similar, despite being otherwise healthy limbs.

The pain for me was treated with opiats and now causes problems when my arms/hands/fingers are exposed to extreme temperatures, either cold weather temps and cold water or long sleeve shirts, coats etc.

I have phantom sensations in my feet also, for instance wearing flipflops will leave a long lasting numb sensation long after I'm not wearing them or even during winter when I don't wear flip flops for weeks or months.

Hope this helps and take care

Comment

Working...
      X